Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what your kids learn?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 9 Replies

Georgia has a bad reputation when is comes to education yet I have friends in other states whose kids are learning slower then they do here but when they get to high school they learn more then we do here. So I'm wondering about your kids are learning...

what state do you live in: Georgia (southeast near savannah)

What grades are your kids and what have they learned this year in school

Kindergarten- ds learned all his letters in pre-k so this year they started with sounds (which he learned most of in pre-k) they have learned sight words and sounding out words so he is reading easy read low level books like K-1 levels. He is also doing easy addition 2+2=4, 3+2=5 etc... also they have learned money names and worth

2nd grade- dd this year has learned subtraction/addtion with regrouping. and is now doing low number multiplication. She has learned all about nouns, adjectives, verbs etc.... And using ALL punctuation. She is reading on a level 4.

Do they have homework? how much?

Kindergarten- He never has homework which fustrates me because I know they will have at least 2 assignments a night in 1st grade. dd always had homework in Kindergarten at the same school. It may be becuase he is in a EIP class or just the teacher.

2nd grade- everynight she has spelling and math. spelling is either writing her 15 spelling words 3x each, ABC order or sentances. Then she gets a math worksheet every night. On top of that she has to read for 15minutes and study either language or math facts.

what do you think of your childs school? I like their school. The teachers are great and really care for the kids!  I only hate that they have no money so we are one of the only schools in the county that do not do feild trips!

by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I'm in IN.

Sounds like your ds is learning the same things my dd is in K. She's also learning basic sentence structure- they are shown a sentence, cut out the words, and put them back in the proper order. They've written very basic stories; ex.- draw a snowman and write 4 sentences about the it (dd said hers is named Sarah, is nice, is fun, and likes hot cocoa). They've learned some basic science: how apples grow, how bees make honey, what different animals do in winter, about farms and where milk comes from, and they will be getting some chicken eggs and incubator this week so they can see the babies hatch. She has had homework packets; they get a month to complete 12/15 activities in the packet (she's chosen to do all of them).

Ds2 is in 2nd gr. He get a homework calendar each Monday, and everything is due Fri. He has to practice his math facts at least 3 times for 10 mins, do at least 3 spelling activities, read one book aloud, read silently for 15 mins each night, and has 1-2 math pages to do. He's not into multiplication yet, but is doing double digit addition and subtraction, and adding/subtracting $. They learn basic parts of speech (noun, verb, adjective) in 1st grade, and build upon that, adding adverbs, and have worked on fleshing out their writing w/ more details. They had to do a book report last semester. They're learning how to do basic research this semester- they are working in groups to learn about insects, and have to make their own project to go w/ it (he's making a diorama about fireflies).

I love their school, and we've been lucky to have great teachers.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM
DH's cousin was a teacher in a very competitive/aggressive school in MD. They moved to GA (near Savannah) and she taught there too. She said her A students in GA would've been C students in MD. I can't remember how old her DD was but I know she's been in a private school for years (she's in 10th grade now). I'm in PA and we live in one of the top districts in the state. DS is in 6th grade and DD is in 1st. We have 1/2 Kindergarten here which I don't like. DS went to private K and learned much more than DD who was in public K. In 1st grade, the reinforced counting (in K it was to 110, now it's 1,000), simple addition and subtraction, money, telling time, making and reading graphs, more sight words, writing full sentences and doing simple research and then writing short reports, nailing down sentence structures and punctuation and capitalization, higher level reading, current events, spelling. She has math and reading homework every night and spelling tests are Friday. The most notable thing about my 6th grader's work is that he had to do a bunch of PowerPoint presentations. I'm blown away with his PowerPoint skills!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

We in Minnesota. (Edit: Twin Cities metro area, and my son is in 6th grade.) I do think the quality of education varies by state. I grew up going to schools in Arizona, and I can see my son's elementary school is more challenging than what I had growing up.

I do know my son was learning multiplication and division by 1st grade, and he was working on double digits by second grade. I'm not sure about the grammer because my son goes to a language immersion school, and so he didn't have English class until 2nd grade. It's just a different school model, and so I have a hard time answering questions like that. He also had science since kindergarten.

His homework since 1st grade has been a math lesson every night (usually one sheet in younger grades, and two sheets in older grades). A weekly spelling test. Starting in 3rd grade, one science fair project a year. Daily reading requirements (currently 30 minutes a night). In 5th and 6th grade there have been monthly projects too, and the subject of those changes.

artistmom889
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

what state do you live in:Tennessee, near Nashville

What grades are your kids and what have they learned this year in school

5th grade social studies, history, science, math, reading.comprehension

Do they have homework? sometimes  how much? it varies----she gets a lot of it done while she is waiting for her classmates to catch up.

what do you think of your childs school?  I like it. It was brand new when my dd was in kindergarten.The teachers and principal do a terrific job, and they communicate with parents well.

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I'm in Northen MN.
DD is in Kindergarten.
She learned letter sounds, sight works, she can read low level books like K-1 levels but can sound out some bigger words as well, easy addition and subtraction, money and time, weather, and what I really love proper names for animals....like a female sheep is a ewe and a male chicken is a rooster.   That's always been a pet peeve of mine so I'm so glad that she's learning that. 

She gets homework every Friday that is due the following Friday.

I love DD's school.  Everyone is friendly and loves DD, the teacher is awesome, and the school is still normal and makes sense, plus for being in the middle of nowhere they still offer a lot of after school activities.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

indiana, southern part.

ds1 is in K.

hes learned about 250 "life time " words, counting to  100, by 1's 5's 10's adding and subtracting up to 20. writing all letters, money, how o tell time, shapes, basic science, like weather, what things float,. they also learn about health,, like healthy foods..

he has homework 3-4 days a week.

im oretty satasfied with ds1s school :)

MeggieLee22
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I am in NH.

We usually get 6-7 pages of HW as a weekly packet.

I have a 2nd grader

Some things I remember working on this year

Math:
fractions
place value
some multiplication 'prep' (working with groups of numbers or grids 4 groups of 4 is....etc)
money - we get lots of HW dealing with money, making change, etc.
estimates (rounding up/down)
symmetry
we also did some work on the > and < symbols at the beginning of the year

Writing
Writing (especially spelling) is a big issue for Jillian so she may not be doing the same thing as other children here.
She is still struggling with sentence structure, proper capitalization, etc.
I know they do work on sentence structure and different types of words (verbs, nouns, etc)
They are working on more irregular words this year for spelling -aught words was one of the recent ones.  Another one I remember was 'f' sounds (ph, ff, f)

They do work with reading comprehension.
They also learn about healthy foods.
They talk about current events, especially when big things happen.
I guess the theme for the year is 'the ocean' so I guess they're learning about that but Jillian doesn't talk about it a lot.  She was talking about whales a lot at the beginning of the year.
Lately they're learning about Egypt.  She told me the other day that in Egypt they took people's brains out of their noses to make mummies...then they put salt and spices on them.  And that she thought that was totally gross.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I live in Western NY state. Just outside of Buffalo,NY.   DD is in 2nd grade, and she is learning the basic addition and subtraction, multiplication, and just starting division.  The school is also working with the kids on fractions and decimal points.  2nd graders are also learning geography, studying the presidents of our country, and in art they are studying Russian culture, and recreating russian art pieces.  In music the kids are learning Russian folk songs.  They are also studying the solar system, and the earth and how mountains and oceans were formed, and about the different animal kingdoms on earth.  Her teacher just started them on cursive writting. Some school districts start cursive in Kindergarten up here.  My daughter loves school this year.  Kind of worried about next year thought. She will be in 3rd grade. The grade where the kids start take those stupid state mandated standardized tests.  Sorry if some people like them, but I hate them. The school spent the entire year preping the kids for these math and reading tests, that the gloss over other subjects like, writing, history and science. DS will be in Kindergarten next year, and I am glad I enrolled him in pre k.  Kindergarten has change alot from when I was 5. He is getting  preview of what Kindergarten will be like.  Kindergarteners are learning what most of us didn't learn until first or second grade. I also like that he is getting used to having homework, as some Kindergarten teachers will send homework home every night.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM

This is just like our Kindergarten program.  Times sure have changed. When I was in Kindergarten back in the early 80s, we learn how to tie our shoes, out letters, numbers, counting to 10,  the alphabet, and how to play nice with our classmates.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

indiana, southern part.

ds1 is in K.

hes learned about 250 "life time " words, counting to  100, by 1's 5's 10's adding and subtracting up to 20. writing all letters, money, how o tell time, shapes, basic science, like weather, what things float,. they also learn about health,, like healthy foods..

he has homework 3-4 days a week.

im oretty satasfied with ds1s school :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)