Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Yeah......not me.

Well, okay, yes me! 

JUST KIDDING!

You know that song by LMFAO? You don't have to listen to the radio to hear it - how about the M&M Commercial (first featured during superbowl)?

Got it now?

Okay - let's say your first grade son sang it at school standing next to a girl in lunch line.

Should he be suspended for sexual harassment?

by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:32 AM
Replies (41-44):
KristinawithaK
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I was SO embarrassed when my kids would sing "don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?  don't you wish your girlfriend was a freak like me?"  what can I say?  they heard it on the Chipmunks movie.

PensFan99
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Quoting disneymom2two:

Really?  My children know right from wrong but I can think of many songs I wouldn't want them to sing, especially my 6 year old - X-Ray Spex, Damn Dog, Divinyls, I'm A ...by Berlin.  I listen to a lot of these (I'm a child of the 80's) but I wouldn't want her spouting the lyrics so I don't play them when she's around.

Quoting PensFan99:

I Think this is all to the extreme. My kid liked Shawn Michaels from wrestling and would sing his song "I'm just a sexy boy" . If u teach them right from wrong who cares what a song says? JMO. We all have a right to our opinions. (I am talking about just singing. Not if anything else went on, like exposing body parts)

PensFan99
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

BUMP!

PensFan99
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Like I said, should be up to the parents. just my opinion. I raised my son on rock n roll and alternative (started with Bon Jovi, then green day, beastie boys, you get the picture) I don't condone some of the rap that has swear words in it, and he sings the songs (the kids at school listen to them so he then does too) but he never says the bad words-he just knows better. Even in the rock songs on the radio, he just skips over the words he knows better than to say. He isn't an angel, but he knows what we teach him.

It seems to me we start panicking while the kids are younger and younger about adult behavior. they are just kids. even if they say "sexy" do they even know what it means? the M&M wiggles his candy body, not any body "parts", to a young child I would think that means that chocolate candy likes to dance! nothing about sexual harrassment. but again some kids know more than others I guess.

as parents we all have our own opinions and as a parent they are all right for our individual children. :)

Quoting disneymom2two:

Really?  My children know right from wrong but I can think of many songs I wouldn't want them to sing, especially my 6 year old - X-Ray Spex, Damn Dog, Divinyls, I'm A ...by Berlin.  I listen to a lot of these (I'm a child of the 80's) but I wouldn't want her spouting the lyrics so I don't play them when she's around.

Quoting PensFan99:

I Think this is all to the extreme. My kid liked Shawn Michaels from wrestling and would sing his song "I'm just a sexy boy" . If u teach them right from wrong who cares what a song says? JMO. We all have a right to our opinions. (I am talking about just singing. Not if anything else went on, like exposing body parts)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN