Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

HELP! 7 1/2 yr old DD has developed some upsetting behavior..

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is in 2nd grade and for the past few days has developed this fascination with sex. We strictly monitor what she watches on TV so she did not pick this up at our house. At our house she is allowed to watch Christian shows, Disney and Nickelodeon thats it and some family comedies I DVR (like Family Matters). We have discovered that at her grandmothers house a few weeks ago, her and her cousin played "boyfriend and girlfriend". I was not there.  This cousin is also a girl and 2 years older than her. Her story has changed a couple times on what actually happened but this cousin apparantly educated her a bit on sex and what boys and girls do. My husband caught them pretending they had big boobs and he told them to stop and that it is totally inappropriate and he also told her mother. My daughter now is fascinated with kissing boys (she pretends to do it and does it on the mirror) and she has made some very disturbing comments about sex and that she wants to do it with a boy. I am so upset at this I could cry. My husband is furious and told his sister that our daughter is claiming most of this was picked up by her daughter and that they are no longer to play together and because he has so many neices and nephews (an absurd amount) we now have to be careful about who she plays with even if its family. I am guessing she is picking some of this up at school too but it is impossible to tell if she learned this all from her cousin or a combo of school.

Last night we had a long talk with her and told her she is no longer to ever talk about sex or kissing a boy yet she is still fascinated by it and she keeps telling me she cannot stop thinking about it. I do not know what to do. Should I punish her and send her to her room whenever she talks about kissing a boy or sex? Or ignore it and hope this is just a bad iritating phase and she will eventually stop this. We run a very conservative household so she is picking this up outside of our home. I now am no longer going to listen to regular radio stations as she is hearing some light suggesstive content in popular songs so no more Top 40 music for her. I am at a loss on what to do and to get her to stop thinking and talking about sex.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Replies (21-24):
mom2MDS
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Your daughter needs to be taken out of that bubble and start being educated. I think it is terrible to not allow your daughter to play with her cousins because you are failing to educate her appropriate behaviour about inappropriate play.

thatislife
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM
First lighten up a bit. Blaming it all on the other kids wrong. Let her know you will answer questions and do so as they arise but that she is too young for this kind of interaction with boys. This is a normal stage kids will go through.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Very well said. My DD is also 7 1/2 and enjoys saying/doing things I tell her not to do. I know you don't want to hear her saying these things but she's giving you the perfect opportunity to talk to her. If you make her stop cold turkey without any explanation, she'll start to draw her own conclusions (that might not be accurate) and when she really needs to talk to you, she might not.

Quoting Barabell:

Personally, I would have talks with her educating her about sex instead of ignoring the issue.

Sometimes forbidden fruit looks sweeter. I don't think banning talks and making her ashamed of her sexual curiosity is going to benefit her in the long run. So I think you should use this as a teachable moment instead of putting blindfolds on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scarngwife
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM

We are also raising our daughters in a Christian home but I refuse to hide this from her.  I would rather she appropriate information from me than skewed information for her friends.  There are age appropriate books available in every library and you can choose what to tell her when.  Explaining to her at this age that these behaviors are not appropriate is better than punishing her for something that is perfectly normal.  You could also talk to your pastor and pediatrician for further guidance.

yellow ribbon toddler girlteen girlin love

~~Teresa~~Mommy of 2 DD~~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN