Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Lately DS6 is really interested in cooking. He wants to make dinner every Monday and Thursday so I've been looking for some easy recipes and ideas. Anyone have any kids recipes or cooking ideas? Tomorrow he even invited his friend over for dinner so he can cook for him!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
zombimomma
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM

http://www.allrecipes.com/  - we love that site for recipe ideas.

Cafe Amanda
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Okay, that is too cute that he wants to cook for his friend!

Cookbook author Mollie Katzen (her Moosewood cookbooks are popular) also has a kids cookbook out called Pretend Soup. On her web site she has her homemade mac-and-cheese recipe, and it's written just for kids! (And is tasty - I've made it myself. :P)

sdbrowneyez
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Thanks I'll check it out! They're so excited for the dinner party.

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

Okay, that is too cute that he wants to cook for his friend!

Cookbook author Mollie Katzen (her Moosewood cookbooks are popular) also has a kids cookbook out called Pretend Soup. On her web site she has her homemade mac-and-cheese recipe, and it's written just for kids! (And is tasty - I've made it myself. :P)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris1885
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM

When I first started my girls cooking, we did easy recipes, like Bagel Pizzas, home made mac and cheese, brownies, cookies, cakes (Can get VERY messy with the frosting). Pretty much anything that they can add into a bowl and mix by themselves. I won't allow them to handle meat though.

MeggieLee22
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM

My kids love to help me cook.  Especially my 4yo.

I don't let them touch raw meat (but that's just me...raw meat grosses me out and I've seen how they wash their hands sometimes), or do any cutting (obviously) but they get to help me with stirring, getting ingredients, measuring, pouring sauces, sprinkling cheese, etc.

Find something he likes (and that his friend will eat!) then see what parts of the recipe he can help with.  There's almost always something they can do to help with the preparation.

CrazedMomof2
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I supervise with the stove and oven but Elise (now 9) can make a lot of different things! She can follow directions pretty well but still asks if she in unsure. She can make a mean egg/ham/cheese scramble!

Jerichos_Mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Pizza

Spaghetti and meatballs

lasagna

tuna casserole

mamacalifornia
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Both my kids love helping me cook

natesmom1228
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Grilled cheese and soup

French toast

Spaghetti

My son has been cooking since he was 5. He also took a cooking class for kids last summer. He is going to be taking the same class this year.

KristinawithaK
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

even if you don't let him operate the stove and oven (obvs) he can help with anything.  you can measure and he can pour, he can mix and portion and transfer.

kids take great pride in helping make food.  and they're more likely to try foods that they've helped make!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)