Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help. Out of 8 days she went to nurses office 5 times

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hi ladies, I could really use some advice.  We recently moved to Nj and in my daughters (1st grade) she was at nurses off 13 times.  In the new school for 8 days she has been there 5 times.  IDk what to do.  Ive talked to her and she says the teacher makes her go when she complains.  She goes for stupid stuff like if she hit her elbow.  Sometimes it is legit. She cries at the littlest things that when something happens (she broke her arm) we didnt take it seriously.  ive told her about the boy who cried wolf and nothing.  She told the nurse today I forgot to keep her home and her tummy hurts.  This morning she left I gave her some meds and she knew she was going to school.  I told her we were going to talk when she gets home.  Any suggestions on what to say?  Should I get angry and to get the point across?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I've posted this before, but my daughter started that habit in kindergarten and I found out it was because going to the nurse was fun. The next time she did it, she came home and went STRAIGHT to bed. Sick people don't get to play, watch tv, or read. That was the last visit. :-) She is now in 7th.
MommyJDTJ
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I was going to suggest the same thing!

Quoting mjande4:

I've posted this before, but my daughter started that habit in kindergarten and I found out it was because going to the nurse was fun. The next time she did it, she came home and went STRAIGHT to bed. Sick people don't get to play, watch tv, or read. That was the last visit. :-) She is now in 7th.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM

If she comes home , no tv, games, toys anything.  I am not sure what else to say. I haven't had much experiance with this. Is anything going on in school that is causing her not to like it?

stephsmom05
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Thats what I usually do when she is sick.  the funny thing is she goes to the nurse but she isnt asking to come home.  She went to a day care and Pre-K and never went to the nurse.  Came kindergarten and it is at least a once a week thing.  I dont understand why she does it.

mommynac
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Did you ask her if something else is going on? Perhaps she's having trouble adjusting to the new school, teacher, etc. and she is using a trip to the nurse's office as a way to deal with it. It's the last few weeks of school and most of the kids are ready to be out of there as it is. I would speak with her teacher and also speak with her about how she's feeling, about the kids, the class, etc.

stephsmom05
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I have asked.  Its not that bc she did it in her last schoolf or 1.5 years too

MamaSulli2005
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter got in this habit for a few months but now the teacher knows that it's getting a little silly and has stopped letting her go. And the last time she did come home I talked to her before picking her up and told her if I came and got her she'd be laying down all day. And she did. She hasn't come home or gone to the nurse since then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwifeandmom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM

My youngest daughter did this a lot in kindergarten and 1st gr.  Even though my daughter is a very independent and social girl, she was going through some emotional stuff, and this was her way to get reassurance.  I started coming to school once or twice a week to eat lunch with her (parents were allowed/ encouraged to join their kids in the cafeteria), and her visits to the nurse's office decreased.  Every now and again, I'll surprise her by showing up for lunch again.  I also sometimes put little notes in her lunch bag (like a picture of a big heart, saying I love you).

URHonor
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I'm in NJ what part are you in? My daughter did this. She is probably getting the one on one attention the nurse gives that she is missing from her teacher. That seems to be common with my first graders....they love going to her because she lays them down, gives them stickers. I would take her to the pediatrician get current blood work and provide the nurse with copies. Let her know how important your daughters education is to you and how you just hate her having to miss so much school. You should also ask the teacher how she is sent to the nurse. *My school changed. We cannot send them just because they ask.

Also, the few that go daily are they same kids that DO NOT get enough sleep! Just sayin...

living happily ever after since 11/26/04

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Have you tried talking to the teacher about not sending your daughter to the nurse for every little thing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)