Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

7 years old and wets the bed

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a wonderful seven year old daughter! Her big down fall is accidents in her pants once in a blue moon and the last two nights she's wet the bed! She has always done it once in awhile, but two nights in a row is now getting to me a little. Any suggestion on what I should do, or is this normal among kids? She's my one and only, and most of my friends are not parents yet....I'm lost! :S

by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Has anything stressful happend lately? How do you react to her acidents? If "once in a while" is a regular enuf thing have you thought about limiting drinks after dinner?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaelynntanamom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM
My almost seven year old dd does this too as well as peeing her pants in the daytime. The only time she doesn't so it is at school it seems. I'm at my wits end and have tried everything to get her to stop with no luck. I don't know what to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on May. 9, 2012 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you cut off drinks at a certain time? I do that with my 6 year old. He has an accident every now and again. ( He did last night )... but that's b/c I gave him some water later then normal.

Tea4Tas
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

ANY ped will tell you that bedwetting is normal up to the age of almost 10 or so.

Cut off drinks, put a washable pad under the sheet (and a water proof pad on the whole mattress) and just leave a fresh pad, and sheets next to the bed so she can change it. DO not make a big deal out of it, and do not stress it-they will all mostly outgrow it.  Check with your ped at your next visit.

hwifeandmom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Some kids never experience any toileting regression, but other kids seem to be more prone to it.  There are so many potential reasons for occasional wetting (day and night wetting) that it may be difficult to pinpoint a reason.  Some possible reasons are distraction, stress (even good stress, such as vacation), infection, diabetes, constipation (puts pressure on the bladder), growth spurts, low sensory awareness, etc.

Three of my kids never experienced any kind of regression (tho' two of them had other toileting issues), but my youngest had on-and-off regression for a couple of years.  I never really figured out WHY she went through phases of wetting herself, and she eventually outgrew it.

You could take your daughter to the pediatrician to rule out any physical causes (infection, constipation, bladder problems), but if they don't find anything medically wrong, it may be something your daughter just needs to outgrow.  In the meantime, you may want to make sure your daughter's bed has a waterproof mattress pad on it, or you could use the disposable waterproof pads (like in the adult incontinence section of the store).

KayDziedzic
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

If she's been having the occasional accident at night and it's just pee, it's still well within the realms of normal, and she's probably just having an off couple of nights. If it keeps up or starts happening during the day, talk to her dr to rule out a UTI or other medical issue. Your dr can also give you advice on options like a bedwettingsensor; or a prescription form of the chemical that bedwetters' bodies haven't started making yet, that is necessary for the brain to wake the body up when it needs to urinate.

DS is 6 and still wets the bed regularly. Sometimes he'll go a couple of weeks without an accident, then start wetting most nights again for a while, and his dr says it's normal for kids through age 7 (and can continue in a healthy child up to age 15, although this is not as common).

Stress, good or bad, can cause a child to start having accidents again. We've had really good results cutting caffeine out of DS's diet- it can still affect the body up to 12 or 14 hours after being consumed, and it's a diuretic, so it increases the body's need to urinate. Some parents have found that giving their child a high protein snack, like a piece of cheese or 1-2 Tbs of peanutbutter, 30 minutes before bed often stops bedwetting (this does't seem to help DS). I've noticed when DS is more active in the evenings, he's more likely to wet the bed at night. Having him use the bathroom 30 minutes before bed, 15 minutes before bed, and once more right before he's tucked in seems to make a huge difference in whether or not he's dry in the mornings.

Good luck, I hope you find something that helps!

Echos-ma
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I totally understand that...Echo does the samething...but her pant accidents are not like extream...its tinkles that are can be noticed when wear skirts and such...or if it goes through her pants...it drives me crazy, and all I do now is Echo go change..and she gives that :( look and I just turn cuz it breaks my heart...She gets so embarassed! Its like she hates to but is too into what she's doing to care

Quoting jaelynntanamom:

My almost seven year old dd does this too as well as peeing her pants in the daytime. The only time she doesn't so it is at school it seems. I'm at my wits end and have tried everything to get her to stop with no luck. I don't know what to do.

Echos-ma
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Quoting Lydlou02:

Has anything stressful happend lately? How do you react to her acidents? If "once in a while" is a regular enuf thing have you thought about limiting drinks after dinner?

The last year she had been staying at my parents most of the time due to going through a divorce...I was just able to get back on my feet to where we would have our own place. So, maybe the transition? She did it while there as well, but could that be the fact she was moved from mom to Gparents, then now back with me? Its been rocky for us, and hasn't been ideal upbringing I had in mind for her.

I was thinking of no drinks after seven...but its hard to say no to a child that says she's thirsty...I know when I'm thirsty, I really am! :) So, I'm torn on that.... Thanks! :)

Echos-ma
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Thank you! I will talk with her for sure the next time we go! :) I'm greatful, honestly it's normal....I asked my boyfriend if his now nine year old went through it, he said no. He did though, due to a father that drank all the time.... She doesn't have that problem thankfully...but thanks for the advise! I have pads in stock and thank God because we would of needed to buy a few new beds by now! lol I don't give any neg. reaction, just comfort, because she is usually already emtional :( She hates it so much my heart breaks for her. :( 

Quoting Tea4Tas:

ANY ped will tell you that bedwetting is normal up to the age of almost 10 or so.

Cut off drinks, put a washable pad under the sheet (and a water proof pad on the whole mattress) and just leave a fresh pad, and sheets next to the bed so she can change it. DO not make a big deal out of it, and do not stress it-they will all mostly outgrow it.  Check with your ped at your next visit.

monkeypants6
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I wet the bed when I was that age. I think it was a regressional thing. For me I think it stemmed fromt the fact that we had moved to a new town and I had to leave all my friends behind (between first and second grade) and I had a bit of trouble fitting in at first. I don't know how long it lasted but I know I eventually grew out of it. My parents didn't really make a big deal out of it--my mom taught me how to change sheets and such so I started taking care of that on my own--that's the biggest headache in my opinion. I do know that it got to point where i would just wake up, realize I had peed, grab my blanket and sleep on the floor without waking up my parents. Its embarrassing--she's old enough to know that she shouldn't do it but for whatever reason can't help it,  so whatever you can do to give her support and not make her feel bad would be good. give her time this too shall pass.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)