Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you........

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM
  • 20 Replies

Help and train your almost 10 year old to run a half marathon with you if she wanted to?

You would have adequate training time and you would be running with them for the race. Do you think 13.1 miles is too much for a 10 year old?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM

As long as she has no breathing disorders or any other health problems, I would go for it.   I have seen many children participate in them with their parents/family.   She can always stop if at some point she isnt able to finish.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Exactly what I was going to say.

Quoting frndlyfn:

As long as she has no breathing disorders or any other health problems, I would go for it.   I have seen many children participate in them with their parents/family.   She can always stop if at some point she isnt able to finish.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nina.h
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM
YES!! And I think it's awesome that she wants to do that, it'll also give you two a little bonding time!! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

My 7 yo does 5Ks.  If she can't finish, she'll walk to the end, but so far she's done 2 and loves it.  She has chronic abdominal pain and the jogging actually helps take her mind off of it.

CrazedMomof2
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

She has run several races already. Most recently finishing a 10k. I did that one with her, her brother (age 8) while pushing the baby in the jogger! (it was pretty fun!!!). I do long distance running and told her she could run with me when she was older as many races have an age requirement.

However, I did a really fun one in San Francisco last weekend and realized there are no age requirements. She asked if she could do it with me next year and I told her as long as she has adequate training she can. It will be so fun! I can't wait!!

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I think she'll be fine as long as she's training for the marathon. I'm sure it will be a great experience to run together in a marathon like that!

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Yes, if she wants to why not?

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM

If she wants to do it and she knows how much, then I'd let her. 

family in the van   Mom of four

CrazedMomof2
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Someone gave me a hard time saying 13.1 miles was too far for a 9/10 year old.

auroragold
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

For MY 10 year old - yes.

For yours.......nope

:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)