Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Vent about school lunch

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:47 AM
  • 39 Replies

Ok last year I had decided to "make" lunches but with our income we really couldn't do it after we got married so all the kids have gotten free lunches. I made a deal with all the kids that I would only be able to come up once this year for a birthday lunch and they get to pick the food. I never steped foot in the lunch room until last month. I had over heard the kids talk about cartoons they get to watch during lunch but I didn't think it was a every day thing. They HAVE to watch the cartoon, they can not speak, when they are done they push their tray in front of them and lay down their head on the table. I swear I have seen less restrictions in Prison. At different times I have had to pick up the kids for appoitments and I usually schedule them at lunch, while picking them up I have witnessed one child beg the office to call his mom and then him demand to know where his mom was. His mom walked in a few minutes later with McD's and the child said "You better have gotten me Soda" Every single time I have been up there during lunch moms are brining McDs. I even found out one mom gets the same thing EVERYDAY and brings it to her son. When I asked my kinder child what she wanted for her b-day lunch she told me Sushi. I did let her know that her friends might make fun of her but she was demanding to get sushi. I sat there for 30 min eating sushi with my daughter and witnessed 6 moms bring McDs or Little ceasers. About 5 min into eating one of the lunch room ladies informed me that I had to be careful to wipe down the table when I left because there were children that had allergies to shellfish. I let her know that none of our sushi had shellfish (we had salmon rolls, and spicy salmon rolls) She said it didn't madder and that allowing my child to risk her health with uncooked fish was poor parenting. I've been ticked off since but I've kept it to myself. My stepsons birthday is today and he requested toasted peanut butter sandwiches with bananas (I swear its the only thing you can get that kid to eat) but PB is a high allergy food so I don't know if I should ask him if he wants chicken nugs  from home (I know he would say yes if I let him)

Another issue I have is the kinders have a field trip to a local park, none of the kids are allowed to bring a sack lunch and they get happy meals with sprite. I don't allow fast food unless we are on vacation and even then I'm picky (chicken wraps, or salad) and no soft drinks only water, milk, and more water. My stepson has had huge adjustments to this because his BM allowed them to eat McDs 24/7 when they lived with her. For the last two years we have butted heads over healthy eating (grandma got P'Oed that I wouldn't allow him to have oreos after he told her on me) My rule is at least two bites of new items. He won't take one lick. I don't want them out casted b/c I don't want them to go but I feel so un-easy as a mom. I already know my daughter has picked a hamburger with apples. She will probably pick off the bread and eat the meat. It's not like they will starve but i don't think that the school is right in saying i'm not allowed to send a bag lunch, and I'm not allowed to go and meet them at the park with food. I don't think they are setting good eating examples at the school either. They have children to watch TV (on a HUGE screen) to keep them quiet, and they allow parents to bring in junk food and sit in FRONT of everyone. If the parents section was in the back it wouldn't be so bad but they are right in front of the TV screen.

by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:08 AM
4 moms liked this

It's kind of late to pick your battles. Anyway, I agree with the lunch lady about wiping the table down well because of the food you brught in for you daughter. I would have asked her for Clorax wipes or gone to the nearest classroom to get some. As for you son, I would take the chicken nuggets instead of the PB. When I got there I would say I thought he would like them better.

For field trips it's ok to let your children have fast food. It's not everyday and the children eat what they want. You daughter will not eat the bread; another child may not eat the meat. As long as they are eating on the field trip I would be fine. As for the soda, give your daughter a water bottle.

As for what "other parents" bring their child to eat, not my issue, not my doctor bill. I am too busy worrying about my children.

I agree with the grandfather, you have to lighten up with the control over food. Let your children have choices, mainly healthy but allow some unhealty stuff. It will not kill them but it sure will make them happy. Example, if you have a game day at home, get ice cream and cookies, throw in popcorn (healthy) and home made popsicles. You can also make homemade pizza. Teacher your children about food and healty choices is much better than trying to control what they eat - this is just my opinion thiugh.

momamanda
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:19 AM

THAT IS INSANE!!! OMG!!! We are not allowed to bring fast food for our kids to the cafeteria. I wish my kids would let me pack thier lunches I've even tried "fun things" but the only lunch they want from home is a lunchable and that is not happening $3 for a box full of crap! I think NOT!!! My kids enjoy eating school lunch and sometimes it is high in calories but I have eaten at school with them and it's not as bad as it could be They offer plenty of fruits and veggie most fresh and my kids enjoy it!! For us eating Mcdonalds(or any other fast food) if RARE!! They know that it is something we do once in a while and is considered a treat to them!  The school is wrong to not allow you to bring a lunch for them! You should always have say in what your child puts into his/her body! If you feel that strongly about it you should say something. At the same time it is only a one time thing so if your kids do not want to feel left out then I would just let it go this time.

As far as the "poor parenting" thing that's CRAZY!!! Mcdonalds is the posterchild for unhealthy food and a parent who would give it to thier child daily... that is poor parenting!! And the TV thing WOW!! There is something wrong with that school's cafeteria!!! You should maybe even talk to the school board about it unless that's how all the schools are run! I'm in shock here!

I talk to my kids all the time about healthy choices and why it is best to choose the healthy foods over the unhealthy foods.They understand that fruits and veggies make our bodies feel good and gives us more energy then a cookie will. Although I do teach them that it is ok to have a treat once in a while. We have dessert every night. It is usally something small. I dum-dum sucker, a popsicle, jello...etc.... I think withholding food can cause a child to want that food even more!

Everything in moderation is fine!

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Do they go to a public school? I can't imagine a public school being able to afford a TV for the cafeteria.

If I was you I would lighten up about their food options, let them have a "bad" treat every so often.

I would seriously be complaining if my child couldn't take a sack lunch if they wanted to on a field trip.

GraceHudson
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM
bump

natesmom1228
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Do they go to a public school? I can't imagine a public school being able to afford a TV for the cafeteria.

If I was you I would lighten up about their food options, let them have a "bad" treat every so often.

I would seriously be complaining if my child couldn't take a sack lunch if they wanted to on a field trip.

My son goes to public school and there is a flat screen at each end of the cafeteria. I am not sure what they are used for and never really thought to much about it.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM

That is interesting to me

Quoting natesmom1228:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

My son goes to public school and there is a flat screen at each end of the cafeteria. I am not sure what they are used for and never really thought to much about it.

CafeMom Tickers
mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not your child to say what they can and can't bring to lunch. I do t see what the big deal is if they have fast food once in awhile. If you have a problem talk to the school a d say your children don't eat that and you will have a sack lunch for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheezit47
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM

if your child is only getting the mcd's and sprite on the field trip, let it go...pick your battes ~ you  know that you are raising yoru children right, and trust them to choose wisely ~ perhaps they will ask for apples instead of fries and water instead of sprite =)

raczac
by Cindi on May. 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM

My kids school you are not allowed to bring in any fast food for lunch for kids. We are encouraged to come and eat lunch with the kdis. My older son's class filled a jar with marbles and there reward for being good was to get to walk to DQ and get lunch. They will get a a special treat from there teacher and they will also be getting exercise by walking to DQ and back after eating lunch.

luvcats406
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

my child goes to public school and there is a tv in most classrooms and in the hallway when you come in.  they use this for the announcements in the morning as the 5th graders do it on video on tv and for telling the letter day.  Also, they use the tv for the days when the weather is bad and the children cannot go to recess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)