Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Ugh! Why are people so rude and inconsiderate?

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night, my sons' school had an art and music program.  My oldest son was singing in the music portion.  The art was on display for you to look at after the music program.  Well, as usual, there were rude people in the back of the gym, talking, laughing, being extremely loud while the kids were singing.  I hate that.  I mean, it was in the gym/cafeteria where sound echos and carries.  These kids were singing their hearts out for their parents and supporters, and these people have to be rude.  At one point, the music director stopped the kids and had to ask the parents to be quiet.  I'm sorry, that's just wrong.  She should not have to ask the parents to shut up so that their children can sing for them.  What was the point in coming if you weren't going to listen to your child sing?  

by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:57 AM
Replies (21-28):
TealRose1
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I have NO understanding at all of why parents would be talking and making a noise!!  In my day and my children's too, and even at my toddler grandchildren's concerts  - parents sit in rows silently with their eyes and ears glued to the stage and children!!  

I so hope those parents felt some shame when the music director called them out !!!  

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do no inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. Ancient Indian Proverb
dinc
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM

For some parents, going to see a child's program is a social occasion and like another poster said, they are seeing people they don't see all the time.  Doesn't make it right.  I also think that a lot of parents don't really want to watch a kid's program and come because it looks good or they think it is the right thing to do.  They then amuse themselves by talking and being on the phone.  A lot of folks don't think about what they are doing and how it affects others.

magsrobsmom
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Quoting mowammee:

I think it is because they have neither been taught nor modeled better manners.  When I was in choir (many, many moons ago), our Director explained the rules of concert listening.  Never, ever, talk or make noise when someone else is performing.  That person could easily do the same to you and ruin your presentation.  Those who broke the rules suffered the punishment - detention, essays, suspension from Concert Choir, or being forced to wash the school and clean the school bus. Unfortunately, today's "me first" generation has imparted to their children rudeness and an inability to empathize with others.  BRAVO to the music director for calling down the adults who were acting like children.

With this in mind, maybe the director could do a "Rules" speech at the beginning of the concert to remind people to be quiet and considerate to the children who have worked so hard to perform for their audience. Not that the choir director should have to do this for adults, but it might help.

orcadarwin
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, it shouldn't have to be said, but I guess they will have to from now on.  The program was being recorded to be played back on radio.  So, a paper was given out stating the 'rules'.  Like, no talking during the music, no children screaming, no cell phones ringing, no getting up to leave.  

Oh, yeah, that's another thing that bothered me last night.  The music program featured the second graders, the third graders and then the chorus (which is made up of select students from the 4th and 5th grade).  Each group performed and then left the stage.  Well, after each group, people would just get up and leave, if their child was done with their singing.  Kind of rude if you ask me.  I was taught to sit still and be quiet until the entire performance was done.

Quoting magsrobsmom:

Quoting mowammee:

I think it is because they have neither been taught nor modeled better manners.  When I was in choir (many, many moons ago), our Director explained the rules of concert listening.  Never, ever, talk or make noise when someone else is performing.  That person could easily do the same to you and ruin your presentation.  Those who broke the rules suffered the punishment - detention, essays, suspension from Concert Choir, or being forced to wash the school and clean the school bus. Unfortunately, today's "me first" generation has imparted to their children rudeness and an inability to empathize with others.  BRAVO to the music director for calling down the adults who were acting like children.

With this in mind, maybe the director could do a "Rules" speech at the beginning of the concert to remind people to be quiet and considerate to the children who have worked so hard to perform for their audience. Not that the choir director should have to do this for adults, but it might help.

fanci64
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:22 PM
And its those same parents that are wondering why there children are interrupting them when they are trying to have a conversation with someone. Hmm I wonder why? Maybe there home training?
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM
I agree, that's really rude. Poor kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justsusan
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:01 PM

thats just it-they did come to hear their child sing, just nobody else's child!  I have noticed a significant increase in badly behaved parents in the past 5 years or so.  What a terrible example they set!!!  Self absorbed!!!

Xlandria
by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Seriously, sometimes the adults are more immature than the kids. Perhaps it needs to be posted in the programs and announced before the start of the event, something to the effect of, "The students have worked very hard to provide all of you with an enjoyable concert. Therefore, if you must talk, please go outside so as not to disrupt the rest of us who want to enjoy every minute of it." or, to get straight to the point, "Those who talk during the performance will be given detention. No exceptions."

tsk tsk

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)