Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School uniforms....

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM
  • 62 Replies
So my oldest child goes into kindergarten in september 2 days ago was her kindergarten orientation and they gave us a paper about school uniforms and the cost. It will come out to around $30 per uniform not counting shoes tights socks sweaters and whatever else she may need. I live in an income based apartment and I cant afford uniforms. This is a public school and the school the district requires my daughter to attend I dont know what to do.... Her birthday is in august so Im considering telling people to buy her uniforms but they might not and she might not get enough I just dont know what to do.. End rant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM
What colors are they? How were u expecting to buy her school clothes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Our school offers discounted &/or free uniforms to low income families. Call and see if they have that option. They should.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommynwife26
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Go to the school and they will usually have programs to help low income families. I had uniforms in school and my parents couldnt afford them either they got vouchers for 3 free uniforms per semester or something like that. Any more they had to buy themselves but 3 worked for us. I had 2 with skirts and 1 with pants
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reesesami
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM
3 moms liked this
$30 for one outfit is not bad at all. You would spend more on regular clothes for her I'm sure. A lot of public schools that insist on school uniforms usually do so because the students come from limited income families and they want everyone to have an equal playing field.

But since you're worried, but her one uniform and ask your relatives for uniforms for her birthday. Explain your worries and I'm sure they'll help you out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angelanscalf89
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM
i havent had to buy her clothes since she was little my bil sends me all his daughters out grown clothes

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angelanscalf89
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM
When I say we cant afford it I mean both me and my fiance are in between jobs atm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
In 5 yrs u never had to buy her clothes?

Walmart has cheap school uniforms. Buy a piece a week

Quoting Angelanscalf89:

i havent had to buy her clothes since she was little my bil sends me all his daughters out grown clothes

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3_2011
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Does the local DHHR not give out school vouchers for clothes? I would call the school and see if they offer anything for low income families.

Angelanscalf89
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM
I will call the school thanks... and no she gets a couple new outfits for her birthday but thats about it. I dont even have a job but even when I did work I didnt have any money. and no I do not recieve cash assistance..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Also check thrift stores through the summer...we always see uniform pieces there for $1-2 each! People donate them at the end of the year..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)