Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
So my oldest child goes into kindergarten in september 2 days ago was her kindergarten orientation and they gave us a paper about school uniforms and the cost. It will come out to around $30 per uniform not counting shoes tights socks sweaters and whatever else she may need. I live in an income based apartment and I cant afford uniforms. This is a public school and the school the district requires my daughter to attend I dont know what to do.... Her birthday is in august so Im considering telling people to buy her uniforms but they might not and she might not get enough I just dont know what to do.. End rant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
Angelanscalf89
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM
My fiance is studying to be an airplane mechanic so hopefully we wont have this problem much longer its just that he has like 10 tests he has to take before he can get his A&P liscense
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angelanscalf89
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM
I never even thought about that even though I used to shop at thrift stores alot thanks Ill check it out.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Also check thrift stores through the summer...we always see uniform pieces there for $1-2 each! People donate them at the end of the year..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on May. 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I buy uniforms for 3 kids, I spend $100 or less on.each at the beginning of the year for everything they need (DS a little less) they get about 5-6 bottoms and 6 shirts. I would never soend.$30 for each outfit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell the school it is a financial hardship for you. Lots of times they have gently used uniforms that other families have donated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Not everyone spends $30 per outfit for their kids. That would be a ton of money to me. I generally shop at walmart or targer and spend less than $10 per outfit for my kids. OP- I would just talk to someone in the school office. i have never heard of public schools having uniforms, but since they do then I am sure there is help for low income families. If not maybe talk to some local chruches or something like that to help out.

Quoting reesesami:

$30 for one outfit is not bad at all. You would spend more on regular clothes for her I'm sure. A lot of public schools that insist on school uniforms usually do so because the students come from limited income families and they want everyone to have an equal playing field.

But since you're worried, but her one uniform and ask your relatives for uniforms for her birthday. Explain your worries and I'm sure they'll help you out.

Tara922c
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM

What type of uniforms does she have to wear? Some of the public schools around here have more of standardized dress rather than uniforms. The school I was at this past semester allowed students to wear any solid color polo type shirt and khaki or blue pants, shorts, skirts, skorts, or jumpers. Girls could also wear plaid jumpers. On Fridays, the kids were allowed to wear jeans and school t-shirts. I would start saving now. I would go to goodwill or another resale shop throughout the summer to see if you can find any low cost options for clothes. Check online and weekly add for sales as well. Try criag's list, garage sales, or freecycle. Call your daughter's school. I know of schools that have a uniform exchange program for low income families. People donate uniforms, the school allows families to take so many pieces for their child, the school asks the families that take to also donate items that no longer fit the child.

Remember, your dd does not need a new outfit for everyday of the week. I would buy about 5 to 7 shirts, and 3 or 4 bottoms. Make her change out of her uniform as soon as she gets home from school and hang it up (if it did not get dirty). That way you do not have to do laundry every night. I hope all goes well!

Angelanscalf89
by on May. 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Im not quite sure I have to check the paper I was given but I think its 3 diff color shirts shes allowed and blue pants or skirt whats a jumper?? And thanks im gonna call the school and also check thrift stores this summer. And yes they have "dress down" fridays but their talking about only doing it once a month.

Quoting Tara922c:

What type of uniforms does she have to wear? Some of the public schools around here have more of standardized dress rather than uniforms. The school I was at this past semester allowed students to wear any solid color polo type shirt and khaki or blue pants, shorts, skirts, skorts, or jumpers. Girls could also wear plaid jumpers. On Fridays, the kids were allowed to wear jeans and school t-shirts. I would start saving now. I would go to goodwill or another resale shop throughout the summer to see if you can find any low cost options for clothes. Check online and weekly add for sales as well. Try criag's list, garage sales, or freecycle. Call your daughter's school. I know of schools that have a uniform exchange program for low income families. People donate uniforms, the school allows families to take so many pieces for their child, the school asks the families that take to also donate items that no longer fit the child.

Remember, your dd does not need a new outfit for everyday of the week. I would buy about 5 to 7 shirts, and 3 or 4 bottoms. Make her change out of her uniform as soon as she gets home from school and hang it up (if it did not get dirty). That way you do not have to do laundry every night. I hope all goes well!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on May. 11, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I would check thrift stores before buying new anyways! Also talk to the school I'm sure they can help.

IWannaLoveAgain
by on May. 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM

There are LOTS of uniform help places.. do some research and let the school know, they'll be able to give you information to help you out.

Allebas
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You are SO LUCKY to have a school that HAS a uniform policy!!! I SOOOO WISH our school district did!! Then there's no arguements about 'what' your child will wear to school each day, no kids making fun of kids in hand-me-down clothes etc!! Anyway, do what others have suggested. Talk to the school, check out second-hand stores--I know our second-hand stores ALWAYS get tons of used uniform clothes from our private school. GOOD LUCK!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)