Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
So my oldest child goes into kindergarten in september 2 days ago was her kindergarten orientation and they gave us a paper about school uniforms and the cost. It will come out to around $30 per uniform not counting shoes tights socks sweaters and whatever else she may need. I live in an income based apartment and I cant afford uniforms. This is a public school and the school the district requires my daughter to attend I dont know what to do.... Her birthday is in august so Im considering telling people to buy her uniforms but they might not and she might not get enough I just dont know what to do.. End rant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
Allebas
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend whose kids are in a public school. They started making the kids wear uniforms a few years ago. The school personnel got sick and tired of kids being made 'fun of' for not having the "LATEST THIS outfit and the Latest that outfit." SOOOO----now they either wear a navy blue top with white/khaki/blue pants or they wear a button-down top with a plaid skirt. They also have a few days each month where they do allow the kids to wear jeans and t-shirts.

My friend is actually relieved that she does not have to worry about spending a fortune on the 'latest' clothes for her kids, especially since she cannot afford to buy the 'latest' for them!

Quoting gcstar42:

Not everyone spends $30 per outfit for their kids. That would be a ton of money to me. I generally shop at walmart or targer and spend less than $10 per outfit for my kids. OP- I would just talk to someone in the school office. i have never heard of public schools having uniforms, but since they do then I am sure there is help for low income families. If not maybe talk to some local chruches or something like that to help out.

Quoting reesesami:

$30 for one outfit is not bad at all. You would spend more on regular clothes for her I'm sure. A lot of public schools that insist on school uniforms usually do so because the students come from limited income families and they want everyone to have an equal playing field.

But since you're worried, but her one uniform and ask your relatives for uniforms for her birthday. Explain your worries and I'm sure they'll help you out.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM

My girls are in a public school with school uniforms and I go to Walmart and online: http://thechildrenswearoutlet.com/school-uniforms.html?gclid=CJ2U69GR-a8CFWQ0QgodCEP3RQ

WAY cheaper!!!

reesesami
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Maybe clothes cost more or less money in different locations? There is no way I could spend less than $10 on an outfit at target for my daughter.

Quoting gcstar42:

Not everyone spends $30 per outfit for their kids. That would be a ton of money to me. I generally shop at walmart or targer and spend less than $10 per outfit for my kids. OP- I would just talk to someone in the school office. i have never heard of public schools having uniforms, but since they do then I am sure there is help for low income families. If not maybe talk to some local chruches or something like that to help out.

Quoting reesesami:

$30 for one outfit is not bad at all. You would spend more on regular clothes for her I'm sure. A lot of public schools that insist on school uniforms usually do so because the students come from limited income families and they want everyone to have an equal playing field.

But since you're worried, but her one uniform and ask your relatives for uniforms for her birthday. Explain your worries and I'm sure they'll help you out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ajb2750
by on May. 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Any public school that requires uniforms is going to have a fund and/or a stockpile of new or used uniforms for disadvantaged kids. Call the offices and they should be able to assist you!

mom-1kids-3
by on May. 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Check with your local human services office, sometimes they will give vouchers for clothes. 

gcstar42
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe so. Target here has TONS of the mix and match outfits that are usually about $4 for each piece for the toddlers section. And in the bigger kids clothes that I have to get for my son and occasionally get for my daughter they are often about $5-$6 dollars for each piece. Of course they have some that cost more but they always have a bunch to choose from that are the cheaper ones. Or they always have the pants and shirt sets that are usually around $10. I can't even imagine paying $30 per outfit. If I bought each of my 3 kids one outfit that would be $90 just for one day of clothes. That would be crazy. I might do that for special occasions and stuff but not for just regualr every day clothes that they will play in and eat in and most likely get some sort of stain after just a few times of wearing them lol.

Quoting reesesami:

Maybe clothes cost more or less money in different locations? There is no way I could spend less than $10 on an outfit at target for my daughter.

Quoting gcstar42:

Quoting reesesami:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM
If you wait about 2 weeks after the schools have started everything goes on half-off clearance too. So if you get at least 2 uniforms to get started, you can get more as sales happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angelanscalf89
by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Thank you all I feel sooooo much better now that I have ideas and stuff lol. It just figures my child would get sent to the only school in the district with uniforms lol. But I do kind of like the whole uniform thing. Im just freaking out about everything kindergarten related lol this is my first baby going to elementary school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM
At least half if all public schools here wear uniforms, including where my dd will attend kindergarten in the fall. I am glad.

Quoting gcstar42:

Quoting reesesami:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tal0n
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

This.  It's how I used to find khaki's for Chibi back when she could still wear boys clothes.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Also check thrift stores through the summer...we always see uniform pieces there for $1-2 each! People donate them at the end of the year..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)