Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Career Day for 1st Graders...Epic Fail?

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM
  • 19 Replies

My daughters school held their annual "career day" this past week. My daughter is 7 years old, she is in 1st grade.

My daughter came home and told me that there was a vet at career day, I said oh was it "m's" mom and she said, no it was Mrs K(a well known vet in our area).

She proceeds to tell me about how the vet was telling them that a mommy dog she was taking care of had to have an emergency c section because she was sick, and that when she delivered the puppies that they didnt make it.

My dd understands death and knows that it is a part of life.

But this is where I'm confused.

DD then told me she went into her big bag, and pulled out a jar, and said "these are the puppies that didnt make it"

I looked at DD and said "they showed you dead puppies"

she said YUP in a jar. both of them were in the same jar.

0.o

at this point I'm pissed.

She got slightly upset because I was so mad telling me not to call the school and such, and i have not called...yet.

I know it was career day, and i know the vet was just explaining her job to them.

Being a vet just isnt about making sick animals better, and examining them. There are downsides to it, euthanizing, not being able to save them all and so on.

But is showing a classroom of 1st graders a jar of 2 dead puppies necessary?

by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mmtosam06
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:26 AM
No its not I would be pissed to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Extremely inappropriate.  I don't think she really needed to go into the downside quite so much with first graders. I would definitely talk to the school.

MamatoKy
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Im kinda over it now. I asked if she was upset and she said no that she believed our dog, whom was put down a few years ago, that the puppies were with him. I told her the vet should not have showed them that.

Quoting mmtosam06:

No its not I would be pissed to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamatoKy
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Quoting disneymom2two:

Extremely inappropriate.  I don't think she really needed to go into the downside quite so much with first graders. I would definitely talk to the school.

see, thats what I think as well, not only was it inappropriate, but also kinda disgusting. They had to have the "puppies" in some sort of formaldahyde(sp) to "preseve" the bodies right? That crap is cancerous(im pretty sure lol)

I'm not sure if the vet was a grandparent (i graduated with the vets two daughters in 2004) or just a friend of one of the teachers.

But I would of appreciated a note or something, or a heads up that she was going to be showing my 7 year old a dead animal.

If I worked at State Highway, and I collected dead animals from the road, it wouldnt be no different right? I could drag in a dead deer, or racoon, or something right???

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 12, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I wonder if the teacher even knew about it. Inviting community members to the classroom can be full of surprises.

I would call and let her know you don't think this is appropriate. I agree it's a bit much for 2st graders. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I would guess that the vet talked a lot about the lighter side of her job as well as the darker side.  Your dd just focused on the darker side more because it fascinated her for one reason or another.  Doctors and scientists preserve the bodies of dead animals and humans for research all of the time, this is nothing out of the ordinary to have dead puppies in a jar.  If you are that concerned, call the school to get some clarification on what was actually talked about.

karlie2
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Chances are the school didn't know she would bring dead puppies in a jar ;) You might want to ask the school if they can ask her not to bring them again if she comes back next year.
This reminds me of something that happened in home ec class when I was growing up. The teacher wanted the kids to make rabbit stew. She brought in a live rabbit and snapped it's neck in front of the kids to demonstrate how to properly kill a rabbit. There were girls running from class crying, a sh@# storm of parent complaints and the teacher lost her job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on May. 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I wonder if the teacher even knew about it. Inviting community members to the classroom can be full of surprises.

I would call and let her know you don't think this is appropriate. I agree it's a bit much for 2st graders. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Quoting karlie2:

Chances are the school didn't know she would bring dead puppies in a jar ;) You might want to ask the school if they can ask her not to bring them again if she comes back next year.
This reminds me of something that happened in home ec class when I was growing up. The teacher wanted the kids to make rabbit stew. She brought in a live rabbit and snapped it's neck in front of the kids to demonstrate how to properly kill a rabbit. There were girls running from class crying, a sh@# storm of parent complaints and the teacher lost her job.

That's a pretty hard core home ec class!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting karlie2:

That's a pretty hard core home ec class!

Agreed.  That is totally over the top and this coming from a farm girl who has seen animals being slaughtered.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)