Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Career Day for 1st Graders...Epic Fail?

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughters school held their annual "career day" this past week. My daughter is 7 years old, she is in 1st grade.

My daughter came home and told me that there was a vet at career day, I said oh was it "m's" mom and she said, no it was Mrs K(a well known vet in our area).

She proceeds to tell me about how the vet was telling them that a mommy dog she was taking care of had to have an emergency c section because she was sick, and that when she delivered the puppies that they didnt make it.

My dd understands death and knows that it is a part of life.

But this is where I'm confused.

DD then told me she went into her big bag, and pulled out a jar, and said "these are the puppies that didnt make it"

I looked at DD and said "they showed you dead puppies"

she said YUP in a jar. both of them were in the same jar.

0.o

at this point I'm pissed.

She got slightly upset because I was so mad telling me not to call the school and such, and i have not called...yet.

I know it was career day, and i know the vet was just explaining her job to them.

Being a vet just isnt about making sick animals better, and examining them. There are downsides to it, euthanizing, not being able to save them all and so on.

But is showing a classroom of 1st graders a jar of 2 dead puppies necessary?

by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Replies (11-19):
vinalex0581
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM

i would be upset but i wouldn't have allowed myself to act that way in front of your daughter only because she might think that SHE did something wrong. 

idk.....my son is very sensitive, so if i would have reacted that way in front of him, he would have cried because he would have thought that HE did something wrong. 

MamatoKy
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Quoting steelcrazy:

I would guess that the vet talked a lot about the lighter side of her job as well as the darker side.  Your dd just focused on the darker side more because it fascinated her for one reason or another.  Doctors and scientists preserve the bodies of dead animals and humans for research all of the time, this is nothing out of the ordinary to have dead puppies in a jar.  If you are that concerned, call the school to get some clarification on what was actually talked about.

my daughter is not fascinated by dead puppies in jars.

weirdkids
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

at least she didnt hand out jars of dead puppies.

MamatoKy
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting karlie2:

Chances are the school didn't know she would bring dead puppies in a jar ;) You might want to ask the school if they can ask her not to bring them again if she comes back next year.
This reminds me of something that happened in home ec class when I was growing up. The teacher wanted the kids to make rabbit stew. She brought in a live rabbit and snapped it's neck in front of the kids to demonstrate how to properly kill a rabbit. There were girls running from class crying, a sh@# storm of parent complaints and the teacher lost her job.

That's a pretty hard core home ec class!

lol that it is. i would have ran too

MamatoKy
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Quoting vinalex0581:

i would be upset but i wouldn't have allowed myself to act that way in front of your daughter only because she might think that SHE did something wrong. 

idk.....my son is very sensitive, so if i would have reacted that way in front of him, he would have cried because he would have thought that HE did something wrong. 

i thought i heard her wrong, so I kinda said "they showed you dead puppies" and she said it again and thats when she got upset. she knows it was nothing she did wrong.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Quoting MamatoKy:

Quoting steelcrazy:

I would guess that the vet talked a lot about the lighter side of her job as well as the darker side.  Your dd just focused on the darker side more because it fascinated her for one reason or another.  Doctors and scientists preserve the bodies of dead animals and humans for research all of the time, this is nothing out of the ordinary to have dead puppies in a jar.  If you are that concerned, call the school to get some clarification on what was actually talked about.

my daughter is not fascinated by dead puppies in jars.

It isn't a bad thing to be fascinated by death and you never know if she found it to be interesting or not unless you ask her.  Plenty of kids and adults find death to be fascinating, my kids included.  *shrugs* I have a slightly different view on death due to my brother being in medical research and a close family friend being a Medical Examiner and mortician. 

vixen42
by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM

thats a litttle tmi for first graders don't you think?

MamatoKy
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

to speak with them about having to put the dogs down, in a humanely way is one thing. to show them two dead puppies is another.

I'm still not sure if I should call the school. i think I may talk to some of the other kids parents frist to see what they say.

Quoting vixen42:

thats a litttle tmi for first graders don't you think?

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Yes, inappropriate.  I'm not sure what the school can do about it at this point though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)