Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Free/reduced school lunch

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM
  • 49 Replies

Let's say you receive health care coverage through your state Medicaid/Children's Health program.

Would you be "okay" if - at the beginning of the year - your school system checked the state medicaid rolls and then contacted families who had children in the system AND received Medicaid to then let them know they may be eligible for free or reduced lunch?

by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
donnadea
by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

yeah that would be fine with me. I would want to know if I was unaware of it. Every little bit helps

SP_Mama
by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Yes, though the school I worked at EVERYONE got sent home the application for free and reduced lunch.  The cafeterias like having more free and reduced students because they make more money off of those (at least the one I worked in).

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I say microchip everyone - that's the way the government is headed - there is no avoiding their intrusion in our lives...make it easy and do it for me...@@

Ummm... I don't like it .. but that's the way I believe it's going ..so NO..I would not wanting them searching our entire family history.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

auroragold
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think my medical insurance coverage is the school's business.  If a private company did something like this - it would be called "phishing".

Send home the applications - I will or will not submit it.  If I do and you need to validate my income, fine. But don't go checking for it FIRST.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM

dang - had to go back and fix the killer typos in that one ! LMAO SPELL CHECK Jinx!

chinosruca
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM
I am not sure why they need to check. At our school the form is handed out when registering the kids for school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Pretty much anyone that is on medicaid gets free lunch here they go by the state records for who is on welfare here.Everyone also gets a free /reduced app sent to them around July here.

Tara922c
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

It wouldn't bother me any. My dd's school told me about the free and reduced lunch program when I registered her and gave me a copy of the income qualifications. The schools here send home a free and reduced lunch application with every student as well. I can see why schools want students to apply for free lunch. If more than 40% of the students receive free lunch, the school is considered Title 1 and will receive additional funding.

Our district is increasing the lunch price by 25 cents next school year. This is the reason for the price increase:

Section 205 of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 requires school food authorities participating in the National School Lunch Program to gradually increase paid meal prices to equal the USDA reimbursement for a free student meal or provide non-federal funding to cover the difference. The USDA requires a minimum increase of 5 cents for the 2012-2013 school year--- I found it interesting.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on May. 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Quoting chinosruca:

I am not sure why they need to check. At our school the form is handed out when registering the kids for school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hance6
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I am not sure how it works, in your state, but my son recieved Childrens Special Health Services (formally Crippled Children), and when we applied for it, we signed a waive saying they were allowed to share information with other state programs, blahblah......they do it to benefit the children as well.  If anychild in the home is on medicaid/CSHS, it automatically qulifies them for free lunch.  So my other children recieved free lunch as well.  Also learned that we qaulified for WIC for my DD who is 2 because of it(we otherwise wouldn't qaulify if it were based on income), and we would have never known any of that if these programs didn't communicate.  I was completely okay with it, and it helps my school district as well.  Anything that brings more money to my kids school I am all for, especially with so many cuts now a days!!!! 

Private insurance is exactly that private insurance, but remember you have to pay for private insurance.

Quoting auroragold:

I don't think my medical insurance coverage is the school's business.  If a private company did something like this - it would be called "phishing".

Send home the applications - I will or will not submit it.  If I do and you need to validate my income, fine. But don't go checking for it FIRST.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)