Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Let's say you receive health care coverage through your state Medicaid/Children's Health program.

Would you be "okay" if - at the beginning of the year - your school system checked the state medicaid rolls and then contacted families who had children in the system AND received Medicaid to then let them know they may be eligible for free or reduced lunch?

by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Replies (41-49):
pookienbobosmom
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM

In our district everyone gets the application for free/reduced lunches in case it's needed. It wouldn't matter to me if they did that though since we aren't affected by it but seems like a good idea for those who don't know that this is offered and may need the help.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 14, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I don't know.
I know our application for free/reduced lunch has a check box if you need info for low-cost insurance.
There is also a line telling you that if you recieve Food Stamps or Cash Assisatnce to include a copy of the letter you got (as that is your proof).

I just fill out the paperwork and send it in.

natesmom1228
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I wouldn't have an issue with it.

LucyLue5
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I don't think the school should have access to this information... but like another mom said it is going that way and the government does what it wants how it wants. Besides the fact that you are already labeled when you do sign up for the free lunches. We are low income and recieve them (breakfast included) and I am VERY grateful for it as we have 5 kids and that makes a huge dent on the grocery bill. But we live in a small town and everyone at the school knows the kids get free lunch. I have my own issues with worrying too much about what people think, and no one has been rude or anything like that. I guess overall the most important thing is the kids getting their lunch covered. It just seems to me though that if they sent EVERYONE the forms then everyone could decide if they would qualify or not.

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM

It wouldn't really bother me.  If I didn't know that I could qualify for free/reduced lunches, then I'd be grateful. 

family in the van   Mom of four

skittles2011
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:09 AM

i wouldnt have an issue with it. some parents may not be aware of the free/reduced lunch program. at my sons school the form is sent home with all kids the first day of school.

lazyd
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Yes, I would LOVE for the school district to do all the work for me!  Even tho we handed out the forms at registration, there is already enough paperwork that the parents usually don't bother or forget to fill out the form for free/reduced lunch.  I also wish that as long as your kids remained on the states childrens health program that they would stay free/reduced ALL YEAR!  BUT just cuz i got a part time, minimum wage job, it increased our income enough that i got audited by the school district & had to show proof of my mislay income that the school district took us off of free/reduced lunch, BUT we still made just under enough to remain on the states childrens health program.  I WISH the government & school district would have the same income limits!  So my mislay paycheck now goes towards buying my kids' lunches!  So why do I work?!

vlester
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM

i would have no problem

Jerichos_Mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM

My thoughts exactlly

Quoting auroragold:

I don't think my medical insurance coverage is the school's business.  If a private company did something like this - it would be called "phishing".

Send home the applications - I will or will not submit it.  If I do and you need to validate my income, fine. But don't go checking for it FIRST.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN