Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what about stealing?!?!

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • 8 Replies
My 10 year old took a 50¢ piece from my friends yard sale she was helping with today. She swears up and down she didn't take it but she was messing with it right before it disappeared. I am so upset, not only did she take it, she is still lying. She says that she has no idea how it ended up in the backseat of the vehicle we were in. I am so frustrated. Why can't she just spill it and tell the truth?!?!?

She admitted to me that she took it finally. I know what to do in terms of punishment. I really was just venting wondering if other people hav went thru this before. She really felt that the money should have been hers which bothered me the most.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MrS.GiFFord
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM

No idea. Bump.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM

We remind our kids that while they will get in trouble for whatever it was they did wrong, they will get in even more trouble if they lie about it. 

I'd be taking her back to your friend's to return it and apologize, then figuring out what her punishment is. Make sure she knows that it would've been only "x", but since she lied about it as well, it's "y" as well.

aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 3:23 AM
She can not because she is human and a kid and is scared of getting in trouble! Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
treetree2007
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM
My friend isn't very helpful. She doesn't want to talk to her at all. And since she won't admit stealing it she can't apologize for it yet. Ahe knows the consequences of her actions already but she is still not cooperating. That is why I am frustrated.
bleumonster
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I totally and completely agree with this. Stealing fifty cents was not that big of a crime unless it was a collectors piece but lying about it is another thing entirely, Let her know what the discipline would have been for taking the money and how much more it will be now that she was caught in a lie.

Quoting wakymom:

We remind our kids that while they will get in trouble for whatever it was they did wrong, they will get in even more trouble if they lie about it. 

I'd be taking her back to your friend's to return it and apologize, then figuring out what her punishment is. Make sure she knows that it would've been only "x", but since she lied about it as well, it's "y" as well.

Kim  

vixen42
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM

for attention maybe?

2teens2LOs
by on May. 14, 2012 at 8:59 AM

kids and people in general are wired to "defend" its a normal mechanism- to lie.

stealing is one thing to punish for, but double punish for the lying or it will esculate.

Tara922c
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Tell her that she is grounded until she tells you the truth. Once the truth is told, talk with her about what the possible punishment should be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN