Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you walk your kids into class everyday?

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:14 AM
  • 70 Replies
My son will be starting kindergarten in Aug. When would I stop walking him to class? I know the first day of school I will walk him in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AirForceWife13
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM
2 moms liked this
I walked my kids in the first day and that was it. They never had a problem going by themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:48 AM

After the first day, after that they can walk in on their own just fine. I don't even think my children's school would let you walk them into class everyday.

endurablemist
by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:33 AM
1 mom liked this

We were never allowed to, the teacher met the class at the door, it was afternoon Kindergarten.

GreenKnitMama
by on May. 14, 2012 at 6:24 AM
After the first day I never walked them in...DDs school has a drop off lane that is always manned by a teacher to mak sure the kids go to the right place.
Crazyloveforyou
by on May. 14, 2012 at 6:25 AM
I walk my kids in the first two days and now they do it by their self,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2012 at 6:31 AM
I walked my kids in everday till second grade. Their elem had 1189 students, the school allowed it, and I felt comfortable knowing they made it to the teacher. Now we go to a school of only 500 and I drop them at the door or sometimes at the curb.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Osstie
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 6:57 AM

At my son's school about half the parents walk their kindergartners to class, and half drop them off at the curb. Every once in a while my son will ask to just be dropped off "like so and so", and I have no problem doing that. Kindergarten is plenty old enough to be dropped at the door after the first couple weeks. Just ask your child what they prefer, and offer it up every month or so.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I've only worked at 1 school that allowed parents to walk their kids to class and that stopped after a noncustodial parent tried to do a grab and run.

luvcats406
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I would say it depends on the school.  At mine, you can walk them to the door but have to stop after the first week.  Although we will be getting a new principal next year so who knows what the policy will be?

Codysmom2106
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 7:49 AM
I walked ds for the first 3 days after that I dropped him off and waited to make sure he made it inside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)