Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

toy swap

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM
  • 7 Replies

My kids love going to yard sales to get toys.  I don't want to drive all over town.  My kids have lots of toys they dont play with.  I'm thinking of hosting a kid type yard sale.  Inviting several families to have their kids gather toys they dont want.  They can price their toys.  We all meet at the park with the toys and a blanket.  They spread out their blanket and set up their shop.  I dont want to use real money.  Maybe I could hand out the same amount of play money to each kid.  But if they are shopping and selling how would that work?  I haven't done this before.  Help me sort out some of those types of details or point out any possible problems for me or give another suggestion on how this could work.  I think I am on to something fun for the kids.  Do you think they should use real money instead? Do we need to use coins for all those tiny cheap toys that kids have laying around and may want to include?  Maybe ask kids to bring what they believe is at least $10 worth of toys and then give them $10 fake dollars to start with.  They would get more if their stuff sold.  What about the fake  money left at the end?  Maybe we could do it once a month if it works out. feedback please ladies

by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
natesmom1228
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I think thats a good idea as long as all the parents are on board and there are age appropriate. I love that idea.

Mom2Kaylie
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM

i think we need a no electronics, video game rule and their parents must approve the items they bring and price items together with their parents before the sale begins

natesmom1228
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Sounds good. That is a great way to recycle toys through the neighborhood.

cheezit47
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:51 PM

our preschool did something like this with clothing. everyone just brought clothing no longer wanted and needed and they set everything out and then you took what you could use. with the toys you could do that and just set a limit, like each kid can pick 3 new toys.....

Mom2Kaylie
by on May. 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

i think the idea of them practicing buying and selling

aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
We have done something similar with baby items and you took the same nr of things you brought. With toys I might set a max price range too so that a 5$ toy does not get exchanged for a 50$ one!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Our school library is doing a book swap this yr. Every student who brought in 1 or 2 books they don't read anymore last week was given 1 or 2 tickets (one for each book, limit 2 tickets) that they can use to "buy" a new-to-them book this week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)