Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

interesting advise from ds1s K teacher.

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM
  • 30 Replies

so im still undecided on preschools for ds2< almost 4> and weather or not to hold him back a year and start K when hes 6.

she begged me NOT to hold him back, espically if i couldnt get him into prek, she said it would be best if he got into k and then got specialized help, even if it ment he had to repeat K

thoughts?

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Try out Pre-K and see if he's ready next year to go into Kindergarten.  If he's not, hold him back, if he is, put him in.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I would do this year in prek as i presume that is what is being done and then go from there.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM

we cant get him into a prek frogram. the free one is super limited. and the local onec you pay for are atleast $150 a week...

Quoting jillbailey26:

Try out Pre-K and see if he's ready next year to go into Kindergarten.  If he's not, hold him back, if he is, put him in.

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM

no atm he cant get into prek, the free public school classes are already full, and we cant afford oer $150 a week for priiate

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would do this year in prek as i presume that is what is being done and then go from there.

jillbailey26
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Have you applied for the free one?  I don't know how it works where you are.  We're in GA and the Pre-K program is lottery funded, so it's free to everyone as long as spaces are available in the facilities.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

we cant get him into a prek frogram. the free one is super limited. and the local onec you pay for are atleast $150 a week...

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Hmmm  I am not sure then.  I would keep in touch with the free prek throughout the months to see if a space opened up for your little one.   DD never went to formal preschool and she only suffered from lack of socialization and handwriting. 

Quoting mommaFruFru:

no atm he cant get into prek, the free public school classes are already full, and we cant afford oer $150 a week for priiate

Quoting frndlyfn:

mckinneymom918
by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd take the teachers advise, if its between sending him to k and sending him nowhere. even if he repeats k. but it sounds like you stay home? work with him at home for the school year, there are lots of free printables and Internet games to help. a couple hours a day would get him tons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicolekcoy
by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I think all in all you just have to do what is best for you son. If you feel holding him back is what is best then do it. However I do think you should at least let him try kindergarten, he may surprise you and flourish in it. I do somewhat agree with the teacher if he has to repeat kindergarten it really won't hurt him. It would be as if you had held him back and sent him to pre-k.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Yes. Its already full for the 16"regular"spots next year. And his slight speach delay dosent qualify him for the 16 sn spots

Quoting jillbailey26:

Have you applied for the free one?  I don't know how it works where you are.  We're in GA and the Pre-K program is lottery funded, so it's free to everyone as long as spaces are available in the facilities.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Im number 27 on the waiting list

Quoting frndlyfn:

Hmmm  I am not sure then.  I would keep in touch with the free prek throughout the months to see if a space opened up for your little one.   DD never went to formal preschool and she only suffered from lack of socialization and handwriting. 

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN