Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

interesting advise from ds1s K teacher.

Posted by   + Show Post

so im still undecided on preschools for ds2< almost 4> and weather or not to hold him back a year and start K when hes 6.

she begged me NOT to hold him back, espically if i couldnt get him into prek, she said it would be best if he got into k and then got specialized help, even if it ment he had to repeat K

thoughts?

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM

If that is the case, then what your ds1 K teacher is advising is probably going to be a moot point. He is going to have to show a significant need to qualify for an IEP for special services. Or, he could be set up for a 504 plan for special accomodations within the classroom.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

he was testeed last november, and will eb tested again in august, but his delays arent enough to qualify him for special ed programs, only 30 mins of speech therapy a week, which is also 30 misn away from our home and we must take him there.

if he dosent qualify for prek now he wont either when hes 5, and i doubt by then wed be able to pay the over $150 a week to send him still

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

If you think he needs specialized help get him screened by your school district to see if he qualifies for special ed preschool through your school district. That way you can get an IEP established for him before he even starts Kindergarten. After he starts K it could be harder to get the school to do the testing and get an IEP in place. (My dd has had an IEP since she turned 3 for developmental delays and qualified for speech, OT and social work. She is now 9 and top of her class academically. He IEP now only needs social work.)

That is my 2 cents. Ultimately it is up to you. He is still pretty young and has a lot of time to mature. You will have a better idea in the 6 months prior to K as to whether he will be ready to start K or not. He can still start PreK, and if you feel he is not ready, you can add another yr of "Jr 5s".

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Does he like to play on the computer? If he won't listen to you when you try to teach him, maybe try letting him play some educational games online.

http://www.pbskids.org/

http://www.starfall.com/

http://www.coolmath-games.com/

Those sites have free pre-k and kindergarten level games he might like, and he'd be learning w/o fighting you about it.

For socialization, you can take him to storytime at the library, or find a MOPS group near you.

I know several moms who have waited until their child was 6 to start kindergarten, and they've been glad they did. Do what you feel is best for your ds.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM

we havent introduced computer/video games. the local mops program isnt accepting new members, im not so worried about the socialization asspects, more his stubbornness and unwillingness to learn from me

Quoting wakymom:

Does he like to play on the computer? If he won't listen to you when you try to teach him, maybe try letting him play some educational games online.

http://www.pbskids.org/

http://www.starfall.com/

http://www.coolmath-games.com/

Those sites have free pre-k and kindergarten level games he might like, and he'd be learning w/o fighting you about it.

For socialization, you can take him to storytime at the library, or find a MOPS group near you.

I know several moms who have waited until their child was 6 to start kindergarten, and they've been glad they did. Do what you feel is best for your ds.

momma to three amazing boys! and in love with their amazing daddy! living our untraditional life. dont judge, weve made it this far and it works :)

raczac
by Cindi on May. 16, 2012 at 2:08 AM

My oldest son started kindergarten this past fall he was like your son refused to listen when we would try and get him to work, he was around alot of other kids but we found he wasn't emotionally ready to start school when he was 5 so we held him back until he was 6 and he has done wonderful this year I am so glad that we waited until he was 6 to start kindergarten. Good luck with what ever you decide to do you are the mom and only you know what is best for your son.

jeslc03
by on May. 16, 2012 at 2:29 AM
Ask the teacher why she recommends this. I don't know the answer. I'm sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 3:01 AM
Because even if we have to hokd him back, he would get.that year of school and speech therapy, insteD od just "sitting" at home

Quoting jeslc03:

Ask the teacher why she recommends this. I don't know the answer. I'm sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 3:26 AM
I do not see how putting a kid that will not listen (IMO meaning not emotionally ready for a long day listening) is going to help. If it is not major enough to get into preschool then I would still wait. Mine was like that and in the last year he has changed tremendously (5-6) he would have been a nightmare at school!

Try introducing different forms of learning. The computer is a good idea on a limited basis with educational games. Games you can play might help develop attention span. Playdough and things like that strengthen muscles for writing.

Instead of putting him in so young when you know there are attention span issues I would ask the teacher what needs to be worked on and try to find creative ways to work on those things...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Agree. Make learning FUN. you would be surprised what you can teach with a cookie sheet and can on shaving cream (hint- have him draw letters and shapes in it.)  Have him help you with baking cookies. he can count the eggs, measure the flour etc. Use coins to count, or a bin of 'manipulatives'. Got to a teacher store to get ideas. Use dot to dot books to teach numbers.

Learning isn't all about worksheets and flash cards.

In K, kids start at all different levels. Some can hardly write their name, and others are reading 2nd grade level books. You know your child best. Do what YOU think is best for him.

Quoting aetrom:

I do not see how putting a kid that will not listen (IMO meaning not emotionally ready for a long day listening) is going to help. If it is not major enough to get into preschool then I would still wait. Mine was like that and in the last year he has changed tremendously (5-6) he would have been a nightmare at school!

Try introducing different forms of learning. The computer is a good idea on a limited basis with educational games. Games you can play might help develop attention span. Playdough and things like that strengthen muscles for writing.

Instead of putting him in so young when you know there are attention span issues I would ask the teacher what needs to be worked on and try to find creative ways to work on those things...

hwifeandmom
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Some high schools offer a preschool program through their Home Ec or Family and Consumer Sciences classes (the students run the preschool under teacher supervision).  Our high school charged a nominal fee ($20 or so) for supplies for the year, but that was it. 

My son was a young K and eneded up repeating K.  He loved his teacher and was happy enough to repeat the class.  He made a lot more progress the second time around.  In our case, I WANTED ds to repeat K, so I treated it as a very positive thing, and ds responded accordingly.  K was only 1/2 day, and ds was a bit emotionally clingy.  If K had been a full-day, I don't know that I would have sent him the first year because I don't think he would have handled it well. 

Does your son have delays other than speech delays that make you think that he's not ready for school?  What our K teachers wanted to see in her kids was that they were able to sit and listen, and were willing to try whatever task or activity they were assigned.  My son had attended junior Sunday School regularly, so he was already accustomed to sitting and listening to a teacher.  He was an eager student. He was socially adept.  He just wasn't absorbing the info well, which is why we chose to have him repeat K. 

xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM
My daughter started kinder at 4 with mild apraxia and lang comp issues. With the extra help the gave her, she is now excelling in first
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN