Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

need idea for gluten-free, dairy-free treat for party at school!

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM
  • 15 Replies

Please give me an idea for a treat for my daughter's birthday party at school.  It has to be gluten-free and dairy-free.   I looked at gluten-free baking mixes, but recipes still seem to involve butter or milk or both.  Last week, a kid had chocolate covered strawberries and gave the gluten and dairy-free kids plain strawberries.  I could do strawberries again, but I'm trying to think of something different since it was just last week.  Ideas please!  

by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I have to check and get back to you.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Popsicles.   (The icee pops work well and are not very messy if kids eat them right.)

auroragold
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Pretzels........serve with a variety of dipping options?

Did you check the CherryBrook Kitchen mixes?  I checked a number of their products and they are gluten free, dairy free and don't require dairy products to make them.  I have used their mixes in the past and they taste just fine.

auroragold
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM
auroragold
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I didn't notice that they had to be nut free. Is that the case?

chinosruca
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Jello with or without fruit, fresh fruit platter, homemade Chex party mix (without pretzels...unless you can find gluten free kind), popcorn, tortilla chips & salsa, baked potato chips, dried fruit & nuts, peanut (or almond) butter with carrots & celery, macaroons, meringue cookies. That is all I can think of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuDeNym
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM

The store-bought Rice Krispy treats - a nephew who needs gluten and dairy-free treats can have these with no problem.  Or make them at home (if home-made is allowed - some schools required store-bought/packaged treats) using shortening instead of butter to grease the pan.

Fruit leather or organic fruit treats (IIRC the regular ones may have gluten added for thickening).

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Rice Crispy Treats

Fruit roll-ups or fruit snacks

Apple slices w/ caramel dipping sauce (double-check caramel for dairy- I don't know if some might use milk or not) 

MI-DEL brand Ginger Snaps- I have had these and they are pretty good.

Try looking in the natural/organic section of your grocery store- most have a gluten-free section in there. You will have to read labels to check for dairy.

hwifeandmom
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM

How about banana bread muffins?  Substitute rice flour, and use oil instead of butter.  I usually use the mini-muffin baking pans, and kids love 'em.

I found this recipe with good reviews (tho' I'd cut back on the sugar a little).  http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Gluten-Free-Banana-Bread?cpi=2&sort=2

bigsky105
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks everyone!  I tried to do the rice crispy treats, but my grocery store didn't have rice crispies that specifically said gluten free.  Looked at fruit snacks and various things, but just couldn't justify all the packaging/trash of individually wrapped items, so I went with gluten free pretzles coated in dairy-free chocolate.  All the kids loved it and went on and on about how they'd never had it before and what a good treat it was.  My daughter was proud.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)