Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Power outage

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM
  • 8 Replies
What does your school do during a power outage?
We have been without power for an hour and I have yet to reach the school (busy).
Does yours have generators?
Is there dismissal after a certain amount of time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MeggieLee22
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I'm not sure if our school has gennies or not....I'm sure my mom would know if I asked her.  I'm pretty sure they do.  For one I think they have emergency lights, and secondly they have all that food in the cafeteria to think about.

We've only lost power during school once, I can't remember how long they waited before sending kids home.  I would keep trying to get ahold of them, I'm sure a lot of parents are calling.  Can  you or another family member get down there to check on the situation?  Maybe try the local radio station.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM

As far as I'm aware, my son's school hasn't ever had a power outage. It's not common at our house either.

Since the line has been busy so long, are you able to go to the school to check on the issue? Or is there a district office for the school that you can call?

MB13
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM

When I was teaching, we just continued on.  We had enough daylight in the upstairs rooms, and emergency lights in the basement.  Sometimes we took the basement kids upstairs or outside from the rooms that were too dark.  You may have to temporarily modify your plan, but it works.  I don't think that we ever had to deal with lunch issues during a power outage, but our school had contracts with McDonald's (next door) and pizza places for delivery, so I'm sure we could have fed the kids also!

MB13
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

The phone line is probably not busy.  If the power is out, the phone system is probably not working since most of the phone systems plug in to electricity!

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Quoting MB13:

The phone line is probably not busy.  If the power is out, the phone system is probably not working since most of the phone systems plug in to electricity!

That was my thought too.

Right now, I wouldn't be worried about my child's school not having power because they don't have AC and would have plenty of light from the windows. But in the winter I would be concerned if he went without heat too long. Some places in the US are really hot right now, and I assumed that was part of the OP's concern.

Mommynwife26
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM
As far as I know they have generators, if not they do a classroom lockdown basically they have to stay in one class till they get everything back up and running. If they can't then they will start sending kids home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I honestly have no idea. I am not sure they have ever had one.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Unless it is the middle of the winter, they just continue on with the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)