Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

grass allergy

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM
  • 6 Replies

DS (5 years old) was playing in the grass yesterday (something he does every day but yesterday it was fresh cut grass and he was shirtless.)  about an hour after he came in the house I noticed that he had little red bumps all over. I am allergic to something in grass (and it is multiplied if the grass is freshly cut) and I have that same reaction so I am assuming that is what he has. I am wondering if I should take him in to the doctor and have him tested to be sure (esp since I am allergic to so many environmental things) or if I should just treat the symptoms with cortizone. Also does anyone know if I can give him benadryl? Thanks ladies!

by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
orcadarwin
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Yes, they make a children's benadryl that you can give him.  My oldest son is allergic to all types of grass and trees.  He doesn't get the bumps, he swells up and turns red.  I know when my other kids or myself are in the grass, rolling around or just sitting, wherever the grass touches will turn red, but it will be just lines or spots.  Nothing major.  Doesn't even itch us.  My oldest will itch like crazy when out in the grass, and can't even be outside when someone is cutting the grass around us.  

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I think the cortizone is a good place to start. My son had bumps too after playing outside one day (but it only happened once), and he was 7. The doctor recommended Benadryl in the evenings to help him sleep better and get rid of the itching and Cortizone cream during the day.

If I am unsure whether or not to take my son in to the doctor, I'll call and usually talk to a nurse at his doctor's office. They note the conversation in the chart--including treatment, but then I also know for sure whether I have to bring him in to the doctor.

ProudMommy51006
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM
My ds is allergic to Kentucky Blue Grass... As well as many other things, he gets the bumps if he touches it, but he is also stuffed up, runny nose, headache, rosey cheeks and miserable just being outside the whole grass season. He takes Alegra daily to help with his allergies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM
I'm allergic to grass and fresh cut grass makes me break out like that. As long as it doesn't give him any major issues like breathing. I wouldn't worry about it Just give him childrens Benadryl and in the future don't let him play in the grass on the day it is cut, sometimes wet grass will cause me issues too
p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM

My kids are mildly allergic to grass. So is my SO, we just do cortizone cream and a bath.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM

If you don't want to give him the Benadryl because of the drowsiness, you can also get children's Claritin OTC and it doesn't cause drowsiness.  If the grass allergy seems to be an every day occurance, you may want to switch to something like a daily dose of Claritin for prevention instead of Benadryl once the symptoms appear.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)