Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My 8 year old daughter is overweight

Posted by   + Show Post

My 8 year old daughter is overweight and the problem only seems to be getting worse. This may sound dumb to some, but I am not sure what to do.

I don't want to be too restrictive (as in no sugar ever) because I think that would just make her want it more. Whatever I do, I don't want to make the issue worse by trying to help.

I struggle with my weight but I'm at the high end of a healthy weight. I cook healthy meals and most often she will only eat the fattening parts (i.e. fruit instead of veggies, etc.) She is on the swim team so she gets exercise at least 3 x a week. She likes swimming but she would prefer to watch tv (which I limit.)

I feel like a bad mom and I want to help her, but I'm not sure what to do next. Has anyone had this problem and made improvements?

by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
AnnaNonamus
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM
And you really should get her in for a check up. My 10yo niece has always been large for her age. Over the past two years, she shot up in height to where she is taller than my 13yo son. The doctor just sent her to an endocrinologist because her bone age is showing 15years, and should not be any more than 15 months ahead of her actual age. They think her thyroid might be an issue, which also could have attributted to her overweight issues when she was younger.

I don't know heights from when she was younger, but she is only 4m older than my youngest, and has always been 3-4 sizes larger in clothing. She stopped wearing girls sizes at age 7, that was how bad it was.
xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM
I wouldnt say obese. A woman is who two inches taller should be about 10 lbs less. She should grow into it

Quoting calisummer:

Quoting auroragold:

Define "overweight".

What is her height, weight and body type?

What does the pediatrician say?

About 4'10" and 112lbs.
According to this website that's obese :(

http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/growth/bmi_charts.html

I haven't asked  the dr. and we haven't been in a while. both my kids are so health (otherwise) we rarely go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM
2 moms liked this
You really should have her see a pediatrician and/or a nutritionist. Also, she should get exercise of some sort every day, not just 3 days a week. Maybe go on family walks, play a family basketball game, bike ride together. Don't make it an issue about weight......make it an issue of health, energy and feeling good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calisummer
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Quoting minimo77:

While that is a bit big for her height, its not too bad. She may be about to grow a bunch.  I would do things as a family that will seem like its a family thing and not you picking on her thing, like go for a bike ride after dinner, or a walk( do you have a dog? getting one will make it so you have to walk them 2x a day lol) Hiking, tennis. And its not so much the sugar, its the simple carbs that are not good-white bread, bagels, white rice, white pasta-switch to all brown versions of those, and watch the portions, they are alot less than what people think!

we DO have a dog, 2 actually but I have to force her to walk with me. She won't go willingly. I pretty much have to insist on most activity except swimming 3x a week. She likes that. Otherwise she's not big on movement. I bought a bike and she wont ride it unless I force her. Play at the park? not umless I insist... you get the idea...

DawsonGia0611
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM
I'm 4'10.5" and 145 lbs. I'm thicker but not fat. I'd like to lose a few lbs and ideally be about 115-120. I DO NOT think 112 lbs for that height is over weight!!!

Quoting calisummer:

Quoting auroragold:

Define "overweight".

About 4'10" and 112lbs.

I haven't asked  the dr. and we haven't been in a while. both my kids are so health (otherwise) we rarely go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnaNonamus
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Her not wanting to do activities could be a large part of it. Tv time being limited is nothing if she is still just sitting at home doing nothing when she isn't using the tv.

Start insisting once a day, at least to start. Make a game out of it- nature scavenger hunt, road sign hunt, mail box colors, house numbers, how many two story houses does she see, etc. give her something to do during it.

Just tell her after dinner, "Ok, time for our walk!" she will likely balk for a week or so, but she will get into the habit faster than you think, or at least, be at the point where she knows she has to do it, even if she doesn't want to. Don't give her the option not to by asking, simply tell her instead.
calisummer
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

Start eliminating as many processed foods as you can. IE, buy fresh veggies vs canned or frozen, make as many things from scratch as you can, as opposed to things like jarred spaghetti sauce, or hamburger helper style things.

Good suggestion. I prefer fresh food and usually prepare fresh but not always. I could use improvement here.

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

Keep at it- maybe do reward points for it. If she takes a walk or bike ride, she earns a sticker. Preset some rewards she can purchase when she has earned enough stickers. Rewards are a great motivator- it can be small things like a trip to. The dollar store, or bigger, like going to a movie she wants to see.

i like the "rewards points" idea but i dont want to send a negative message. I worry about that.

minimo77
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DawsonGia0611:

I'm 4'10.5" and 145 lbs. I'm thicker but not fat. I'd like to lose a few lbs and ideally be about 115-120. I DO NOT think 112 lbs for that height is over weight!!!

Quoting calisummer:

Quoting auroragold:

Define "overweight".

About 4'10" and 112lbs.

At 4'10.5 and 145, -YOu probably arnt 8 years old though, like the OP's dd is, adults will be heavier at the same height as they have boobs and butt and stuff. That said, that is a bit heavy for that height regardless.

calisummer
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

"I'm 4'10.5" and 145 lbs. I'm thicker but not fat. I'd like to lose a few lbs and ideally be about 115-120. I DO NOT think 112 lbs for that height is over weight!!!"

Thanks for the feedback. I think it's a little different for an 8 year old though.

PinkieRed
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Wow, she's only 8?

My daughter is 14, and is 5"2, and 107 pounds. My 9 year old son is 4"0, and 49 pounds. My daughter is average sized according to her pediatrician, but my son is on the low end of normal, weight wise.

That's good though that you recognize that your daughter is overweight, and want to do something about it.

I'd definitely say a trip to the pediatrician is in order, first. They can check for any underlying health problems your daughter might have, and maybe refer you to a dietician.

Good luck!

Quoting calisummer:

Quoting auroragold:

Define "overweight".

About 4'10" and 112lbs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN