Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My 8 year old daughter is overweight

Posted by   + Show Post

My 8 year old daughter is overweight and the problem only seems to be getting worse. This may sound dumb to some, but I am not sure what to do.

I don't want to be too restrictive (as in no sugar ever) because I think that would just make her want it more. Whatever I do, I don't want to make the issue worse by trying to help.

I struggle with my weight but I'm at the high end of a healthy weight. I cook healthy meals and most often she will only eat the fattening parts (i.e. fruit instead of veggies, etc.) She is on the swim team so she gets exercise at least 3 x a week. She likes swimming but she would prefer to watch tv (which I limit.)

I feel like a bad mom and I want to help her, but I'm not sure what to do next. Has anyone had this problem and made improvements?

by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Replies (71-72):
Precious333
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting calisummer:

Quoting Precious333:

honestly I would put the whole family on a nutritional diet and keep those unhealthy foods out of the house. Even if she is the only one needing to loose weight it will benefiy everyone. Just say "we are all going to start eating this way for now on". stop buying sweets, only buy water, stopped buying packaged foods and only cook from scratch. good snack alternatives arw nuts, dried fruit, fruits and veggies maybe with something to dip with like hummus, peanut butter. yogurt is great, smoothies. I would also stop buying cereal and do eggs, or oatmeal, or yogurt instead in the mornings. also if you have a juicer, juicing is a great way to make sure you are absorbing you vitamins and minerals. Making eat infusions from herbs like blessed thistle also has so much nutrience that is easily absorbed. And increasing your fish intake.

good luck!

Here is the list of the things she would eat from that list: Raw nuts, fruit, Peanut Butter, occasionally fish. Occasionally she will eat greek yogurt. No other type ever.

She refuses: Hummus, smoothies, eggs, oatmeal, most veggies.

I do have a juicer which I enjoy and use. The kids will occasionally drink the juice but they mostly refuse it. It is very frustrating to contiuously offer them healthy food and then end up throwing it away.

thats a good start :) As far as juicing goes, you can sneak veggies in there. Adding dips also helps her eat veggies. What I do with my kids is give them their meals, meat, grains and veggies. The meats and veggies are a bigger portion than the grains, and thats what they get if they are hungry.  If they absolutely HATE a food we sometimes discusss what about it they don't like, but I always make them take atleast 3 bites of it.

Also, when you are cooking other things you can sneak in veggies as well. For instance if I am making meatloaf I may sneak in some carrots. You can also sneak in some things with muffins or breads, like making banana bread etc. I sneak more veggies into spagetti sauce as well (like carrots, bell peppers...anything really).

Also, we dont' waste food here. if they refuse it I save it until they are so hungry they are hungry enough that they will eat it. I do this with my 4 and 5 yr old.

You might want to read through what you wrote. When you see it, you will shit bricks.

oh thats BAD! Thanks. fixed it!

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
saralizabeth
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I am going through this right now also with my 8yo stepdaughter. We sent her to my inlaws to visit last summer and she gained 15-20lbs in the 7-8 weeks she was there. I am interested in getting opinions on what to do also! My SD is 8, 4'4" & 85lbs and her doctor did say she was technically obese and needs to be on a weight loss program. We have recently moved from MI to CA so, with the nicer weather and more to do, I'm hoping it will come off fast!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN