Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is it dead?

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM
  • 16 Replies
Are there extracurriculars and/or meetings that go on at your child's school in the evening or not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Boy scouts and town basketball use our gym in the evening.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Just sporting events, band and choral concerts.  Everything else takes place during the school day.  My kids have had at least one or two days off a month this year for "Superintendent's Day", and whenever the teachers need to grade state exams, the kids are given the night off.  I also hate it when the schools are let out early for kindergarten orientations and Kindergarten screenings. I don't see why these things can't be done over the summer.  DD also attends brownie meetings on Tuesday nights at a local church, and she attends dance classes every Satruday morning.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Once a month, the Cub Scouts use the school cafeteria for our Pack meetings. I don't know if anything else uses the school in the evening hrs or not. I think most are right after school.

xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Boys and girls club
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on May. 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM

High school uses the gym for sports and music events.  Jr high is used for board meetings. The Teammates uses the school for meetings. 

family in the van   Mom of four

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Some evenings yes.  The school festival is coming up June 1st.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Quoting WesternNYmom:

whenever the teachers need to grade state exams, the kids are given the night off.  I also hate it when the schools are let out early for kindergarten orientations and Kindergarten screenings. I don't see why these things can't be done over the summer. 

What state has the teachers grade their own school's state test?  That's crazy.  Our school doesn't close for kindergarten orientation or screenings.  A sub is hired for the class and the teacher/nurse/slp/ot/pt do the screenings.

Cindy18
by Cruella on May. 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I'm not sure what meets at our elementary schools at night. We have 7 elementary schools in our city.

I know Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts have met there and some of them do a basketball team. We have had clubs in the past, DD went to a bible club before.

matofour
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM
There is something at our schools probably almost every night.
Between girl scout troops, boy scout troops, sports, bands, and all the extra stuff. Our schools are always busy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 20, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Our elementary school always has something going on in the evening.  Between sports practices, clubs meeting, school board of directors meetings, PTA meetings, booster club meetings.  There is always something going on and it is rarely quiet after hours.  The school is pretty much the hub of activity in our area since we don't have a community center or YMCA or anything like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN