Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

are you frigging kidding me...EDIT TO ADD EDIT WITH REST OF LIST

Posted by   + Show Post

Here is his supply list and remember this is for first grade

i finally opened the envelope that contained the the list(it was marked " MR.K'S FIRST GRADE SUPPLY LIST"

Here is the list

Please do not put names on the following items:

- 4wide-ruled notebooks (no perforated pages): red, blue, yellow, green

-1 marble comp book

- 10 folders (paper folder, no poly) without center brackets: 2 red, 2 blue, 2 yellow, 2 green, 2 purple

- 8 to 10 SKINNYBLACK dry erase markers with caps

- 10 fat pencils, also called beginner pencils (these have a wider barrel and are easier for small hands to grasp)

- white all-purpose glue bottle

- 10 glue sticks

- 1 box of tissues

Please label the following items with your name:

- 2rectangular erasers(NON TOY SHAPED)

- crayons

- markers

- colored pencils

- scissors(Fiskars for children are recommended)

- LARGE tool box

- backpack

- gym shoes(to be kept in your child's locker)

- $2 for a Science Notebook

-8G flash drive

-20 pack blank disk(10 DVD 10CD)

Classroom Supply List: These supplies will be for classroom use and will be asked for again when the supply has dwindled
- copy paper- white and colored
- card stock any color
- wallpaper books
- large bottle of hand sanitizer

The following needs to be sent in during the second week of school

- $20 dollars to cover music,lab, and pool fee's for first term

- A smock for art class

- A extra change of cloths

THIS IS ONLY PART OF THE LIST

The rest of the list

8pks of ruled index cards(for flash cards/study helpers for music,foreign language,math and science)
BAND OR ORCHESTRA INSTRAMENT(IF YOUR CHILD IS PERTISAPATING)(DS IS TAKING ORCHESTRA)
for band/orchestra - 3 rosin(orchestra only)
2 packs sheet music
3 packs of string
bow repair kit(orchestra only)

For foreign language

English to foreign language Dictionary(DS IS TAKING SPANISH)
2 marble comp. books (WIDE RULE FOR 1ST,2ND, AND 3RD COLLEGE RULE FOR 4TH AND 5TH GRADE)

FOR GYM

1 SWIM SUIT (ONE PIECE OR TANKINI. ABSOLUTLY NO BIKINIS)(BOYS NO SPEEDOS)
SWIM WINGS (IF CHILD NEEDS THEM)
LARGE TOWEL TO BE KEPT IN LOCKER(LABLE WITH CHILDS NAME)(IT WILL BE WASHED AT SCHOOL PLEASE NOTIFY US IF CHILD IS ALLERGIC TO TIDE LAUNDRY SOAP)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

by on May. 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Replies (271-274):
WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Yikes. That looks like the list my daughter has for 3rd grade.  I lost my copy so I have to reprint it and then I will post it. DS's Kindergarten list is as follows:

To share with class:

1 large box of Facial tissue

3 bottles of Elmer's Glue ( only Elmer's is allowed)

3  Large Elmer's (only Elmer's) Glue Sticks

1 pink eraser

1 pair Fiskar scissors (apparently safety scissors that we used in kindergarten are too dull)

3 boxes (24 ct.) Crayola crayons (again can only be crayola)

3 boxes of anti-bacterial hand wipes (The hard to find, super expensive boxes. No Canisters. GRR!)

1 sturdy traditional pencil box (not bag type)

Items to be labled with child's name:

1 two pocket folder

1 long sleeved art smock or an old button down shirt for art class

Sneakers for PE. Sneakers with wheels are banned. Are kids still wearing those?

1 lunch box

Backpack (large enough to hold folder, lunch box, and art work). Backpacks with wheels not allowed.

A complete change of clothes. To be kept in child's locker (in case of accidents).

*Increase in supply requests have been made to avoid having to replenish many time throughout the year when school supplies are more expensive.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Supply lists are a normal part of back to school shopping for many districts in my area.  In fact, parents can pick up copies of supply lists for each grade at the supermarket in our town. My dh's cousin is a teacher, and she says that many districts do this not  only to keep the district's spending low, but it also assures that every child has the supplies they need for  the year, as some families can't afford to purchase school supplies.  Many businesses have supply drives, but items are limited and are on a first come first serve basis. I hate the fact that I have to spend money to by supplies for other people's kids too, but I see why the schools are reaching out to the parents for help. In the past, teachers would have to pay for these supplies out of their own pocket with no reimbursment from the schools they worked for.  It is expensive enough  having to purchase supplies on 2 lists. I don't even want to know what it would cost to purchase items for 30 or more kids every year.

Quoting SLOmommy:

Wtf?!?! I've never supplied a thing where I live, let alone a list!
On back to school night, each parent picks ONE thing to give the classroom (usually very cheap and craft related) like cotton balls, googly eyes or paper towels).
I'd be talking to other parents to see if the whole school is like this or what because if not, it would be a red flag for that teacher in my book. JMO

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 3:53 PM

That is what I would like to know.  In my town many people, dh and I included, pay nearly $4,000 a year in school and property taxes. Where the heck is all the money going? It obviously isn't going to the schools here.  I don't mind buying the supplys, but it bugs me that these lists get longer and longer every single year.

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

Do we not pay taxes?

I do home school, but I find that list excessive. There are what? 20-25 kids in each class? IF each kids brings in what they are "required" that is wuote the windfall. I provide for MY child. I don't need to provide for yours.

SLOmommy
by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Yeah, after reading all the comments I posted again saying that I guess it's just different where I live. When my 1st (who is 9 years old now) went to school, the first thing I asked was if there was a wish list posted somewhere but there wasn't and there still isn't. I do give a lot of time to the school as well as home-cook snacks for events when they ask so it's not that I mind (please don't think
that), it's just that seeing as it's different where I live, I was just so shocked at this list...especially for 1st grade.

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Supply lists are a normal part of back to school shopping for many districts in my area.  In fact, parents can pick up copies of supply lists for each grade at the supermarket in our town. My dh's cousin is a teacher, and she says that many districts do this not  only to keep the district's spending low, but it also assures that every child has the supplies they need for  the year, as some families can't afford to purchase school supplies.  Many businesses have supply drives, but items are limited and are on a first come first serve basis. I hate the fact that I have to spend money to by supplies for other people's kids too, but I see why the schools are reaching out to the parents for help. In the past, teachers would have to pay for these supplies out of their own pocket with no reimbursment from the schools they worked for.  It is expensive enough  having to purchase supplies on 2 lists. I don't even want to know what it would cost to purchase items for 30 or more kids every year.

Quoting SLOmommy:

Wtf?!?! I've never supplied a thing where I live, let alone a list!
On back to school night, each parent picks ONE thing to give the classroom (usually very cheap and craft related) like cotton balls, googly eyes or paper towels).
I'd be talking to other parents to see if the whole school is like this or what because if not, it would be a red flag for that teacher in my book. JMO

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)