Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Have swear words changed?

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:48 AM
  • 23 Replies

I can't remember if we are supposed to avoid swears on here, so I'm putting them with stars for that reason and not because I don't want to use them.  I think some words that I was not allowed to say and not considered swear words anymore.  I've noticed that lots of people use the word "s**ks" more often these days.  Then one day the pastor's wife said it during a Sunday School lesson for prek-kindergarten.  I was shocked.  We talked about it.  She said she didn't consider it a swear, but that she would try to refrain from using the word in Sunday School.  I've also heard teachers use the word, but I'm not sure that I've ever heard them say it to kids.  It is just not a word in my vocabulary because to me it does feel like a swear word.  Growing up my dad told me that it was a swear because it is a slang way of refering to a sexual act.  He also didn't like the phrase "got the shaft" for a similar reason, although that one to me has never really felt like a swear.  Do you think these are swears?  How about these: cr**  da**  sh**  he**  ?  I'm guessing the f word is still a swear since people these days refer to it as "the f bomb" so often.  

by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imafuswb
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 4:23 AM
Yes, in our family, all of those words are inappropriate. But I know what you mean. I hear everything, including the f bomb, from kids as young as six on a regular basis.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Cruella on May. 21, 2012 at 6:35 AM

I don't consider Suck a swear word but I can see why you would. And it was totally inappropriate for a preschool Sunday school teacher to use it.

I think Hell is used a lot and is not considered a swear word. Think about all the words that are allowed on network TV that never use to be.

Cherish77
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 6:45 AM
Sucks to me is not a bad word, idk It just doesn't feel like a bad word. Damnable is but not dang.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bupkie
by on May. 21, 2012 at 8:25 AM

They may be "strong" or "inappropriate terms" for use during polite conversation, but not "swear words" per say.   While they may not be "polite" words, they are (at least to me) less offensive than true "swear words."    

We teach our kids that those words are not appropriate - as there are much better language choices to get their feelings out.  They can say  "crud, frik, heck, dang" etc.      Heck, if those are the worst things my kids say, I'd be dang proud!  LOL!

I do admit, the first time I heard this commercial I was shocked, and then LOL'd for a good couple of minutes...

SP_Mama
by on May. 21, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Sucks in not a swear word in our house, but we do encourage the kids not to use it by teaching them different words to use.  It's not something they'll get in trouble for, though.  They can't say crap, dam*, sh*t, he*l, f**k.  Again, though not swear words, they can't call someone names especially stupid or stuff like that.  They've heard their cousins do it and think it's okay, but we are trying to teach them it's NOT okay.

othermom
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

They are not really appropriate but not swear words to me.

CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I don't consider suck or crap to be swear words.  I do think they are inappropriate, at least for young kids, to be using.

The main words I consider to be swear words are: sh*t, d*mn, h*ll, f*ck and b*tch.

I'm always baffled why they use b*tch and gd so freely on regular TV, but they never say sh*tSh*it seems so much more mild than the other two swear words.

natesmom1228
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I don't allow any of those words in my house.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I don't allow any of those words....

The kids friends tried saying frack instead of Fu** ..its the same thing and sounds just as bad IMO..

I don't allows sucks either..stinks is fine. I don't correct my boy scouts over it as EVERY OTHER parent allows it and i got tired of fighting it..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

They are inappropriate. Not all of them are swear words, but they don't need to be said by children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN