Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you have a Pop-up Camper? I Need Your Advice...

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi Gals,

Just wondering if anyone has a pop-up camper and what are the pros and cons of having one? We've never owned one nor have we ever been camping, but we'd love to try it! I know the kids would love it! I know I definitely want to get one with a/c & heat. Any other recommendations? I'd really like to know what it's like for others that own a camper before we actually make the commitment to buy one. Thanks!

by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Replies (11-19):
luzngkntrl
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Anyone know of any great family campgrounds in Illinois?

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Most state parks have nice campgrounds. You can google your state's Department of Natural Resources to find them.

We have a 2001 KZ Coyote hybrid camper. It's like a trailer camper, but has bedends that fold out and have the canvas like a pop-up. We have heat, a/c, a small kitchen, an outside camp stove, and a bathroom w/ a small shower, sink, and toilet. We love it! We don't spend a ton of time in it, but it is big enough for all 5 of us to be in there on a rainy day w/o stepping on each other. New, something like ours costs about $17,000-$20,000; we got ours used for $6,000.

luzngkntrl
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Quoting wakymom:

Most state parks have nice campgrounds. You can google your state's Department of Natural Resources to find them.

We have a 2001 KZ Coyote hybrid camper. It's like a trailer camper, but has bedends that fold out and have the canvas like a pop-up. We have heat, a/c, a small kitchen, an outside camp stove, and a bathroom w/ a small shower, sink, and toilet. We love it! We don't spend a ton of time in it, but it is big enough for all 5 of us to be in there on a rainy day w/o stepping on each other. New, something like ours costs about $17,000-$20,000; we got ours used for $6,000.

Wow! You got a great deal! Any chance you're selling yours?lol! My dh says now he definitely wants one with a toilet, a/c, heat, and a small shower. I was ready to get a basic one but I see there's many options in pop-ups to choose from. Our summer's get pretty hot...alot of 100 degree days...so we're definitely going to try to find one with a/c. We're actually going to be in the 80's the rest of the week--already! I saw one through a dealer. It's a '98, very clean & like new with the amenities mentioned and they want $4,000 for it. Do you think this is a good price? Do you think it's too old? How much do you spend to camp with a pop-up?

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Quoting luzngkntrl:

Quoting wakymom:

Wow! You got a great deal! Any chance you're selling yours?lol! My dh says now he definitely wants one with a toilet, a/c, heat, and a small shower. I was ready to get a basic one but I see there's many options in pop-ups to choose from. Our summer's get pretty hot...alot of 100 degree days...so we're definitely going to try to find one with a/c. We're actually going to be in the 80's the rest of the week--already! I saw one through a dealer. It's a '98, very clean & like new with the amenities mentioned and they want $4,000 for it. Do you think this is a good price? Do you think it's too old? How much do you spend to camp with a pop-up?

$4,000 sounds ok to me, but you'll want to look at things like the condition of any canvas, water lines, fresh, gray and black water tanks, suspension, etc. You don't want to get something and find you need to spend even more on repairs after a few trips.

Costs to camp depends on where you go. Some places charge a slightly higher rate for water and electric as opposed to just electric, and full hook-up (elec, water and sewer) can be a little more. It still works out cheaper than a hotel room, though : )  Most campgrounds will have their rates on their websites. KOA Kampgrounds are usually nice, as are Jellystone Campgrounds, but can be a little more expensive b/c they can have extra anemities like putt-putt golf, pool, and laundry room.

Try looking at http://www.illinoisgocamping.com/   and http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/programs/camping/

jiffypop2207
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM
So did my parents

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Mine did.

Quoting my4littlegirls:

They do not have a bathroom in them. From what I remember of our old one. So late night runs to the porta potty or bathrooms for kids suck. Otherwise we made it work for a family of 6. Rain sucked but we played cards or something at the kitchen table while a few people layed on the bed above it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luzngkntrl
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting wakymom:

Quoting luzngkntrl:

Quoting wakymom:

$4,000 sounds ok to me, but you'll want to look at things like the condition of any canvas, water lines, fresh, gray and black water tanks, suspension, etc. You don't want to get something and find you need to spend even more on repairs after a few trips.

Costs to camp depends on where you go. Some places charge a slightly higher rate for water and electric as opposed to just electric, and full hook-up (elec, water and sewer) can be a little more. It still works out cheaper than a hotel room, though : )  Most campgrounds will have their rates on their websites. KOA Kampgrounds are usually nice, as are Jellystone Campgrounds, but can be a little more expensive b/c they can have extra anemities like putt-putt golf, pool, and laundry room.

Try looking at http://www.illinoisgocamping.com/   and http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/programs/camping/

Thanks for the link, you've been so helpful:) What kind of stuff do you bring along with you when you go camping?

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Quoting luzngkntrl:

Quoting wakymom:

Quoting luzngkntrl:

Quoting wakymom:

Thanks for the link, you've been so helpful:) What kind of stuff do you bring along with you when you go camping?

My dh would tell you I take too much : )

Sleeping bags, pillows, light-weight blankets (in case it's too warm for the sleeping bags), bottled water, ice chest (to hold food until any fridge you have gets cold; we then use the ice chest as an outside table), flash lights, camping lantern (optional- we don't always use ours), WD-40 (never know when you might need it!), rope (has all kinds of handy uses), paper towels, batteries.

What cookware and dishes depends on you and how you're going to cook. If you'll be cooking over a campfire or camp stove, cast iron is best. We have a cast iron griddle we use for most things, and a skillet; we have a basket-thingy we use w/ the campfire. We use paper plates/bowls and plastic utensils simply b/c I don't want to have to mess w/ washing any more than I have to. If you don't have a mini kitchen, you'll need to take a dishpan to do dishes in. Can opener, sharp knife or 2, spatulas and serving spoons (not cheap ones- those melt too easily over a campfire and on hot cast iron). Roasting sticks if you want to do s'mores; also good for roasting hot dogs (the kids love to do this). Water bottles for hiking.

Toys for the kids- both outdoor and indoor. Books, card games, board games w/ very few pieces, Matchbox cars, etc for rainy days. Sidewalk chalk, bikes/scooters, balls/frisbees; we take a bean bag toss and ladder ball. 

Shower shoes, towels, soap, shampoo, quarters. Yes, we have some across pay showers- annoying, but better than nothing when you're more dirt than person : )

At least one day's worth of extra clothes per person in case of accidents, getting caught in a sudden downpour, ending up covered in mud when hiking, etc. 

*** Weather radio!!! Not all campgrounds have wi-fi, and cell service can be hit-or-miss (and is usually at your carrier's roaming rate).

A hammer and a couple screwdrivers are always a good idea, and an adjustable wrench. Never know when you might need them- like the Boy Scouts say: Be Prepared!

That's all I can think of right now.

luzngkntrl
by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Quoting wakymom:

Quoting luzngkntrl:

Quoting wakymom:

Quoting luzngkntrl:

Quoting wakymom:

Sleeping bags, pillows, light-weight blankets (in case it's too warm for the sleeping bags), bottled water, ice chest (to hold food until any fridge you have gets cold; we then use the ice chest as an outside table), flash lights, camping lantern (optional- we don't always use ours), WD-40 (never know when you might need it!), rope (has all kinds of handy uses), paper towels, batteries.

What cookware and dishes depends on you and how you're going to cook. If you'll be cooking over a campfire or camp stove, cast iron is best. We have a cast iron griddle we use for most things, and a skillet; we have a basket-thingy we use w/ the campfire. We use paper plates/bowls and plastic utensils simply b/c I don't want to have to mess w/ washing any more than I have to. If you don't have a mini kitchen, you'll need to take a dishpan to do dishes in. Can opener, sharp knife or 2, spatulas and serving spoons (not cheap ones- those melt too easily over a campfire and on hot cast iron). Roasting sticks if you want to do s'mores; also good for roasting hot dogs (the kids love to do this). Water bottles for hiking.

Toys for the kids- both outdoor and indoor. Books, card games, board games w/ very few pieces, Matchbox cars, etc for rainy days. Sidewalk chalk, bikes/scooters, balls/frisbees; we take a bean bag toss and ladder ball. 

Shower shoes, towels, soap, shampoo, quarters. Yes, we have some across pay showers- annoying, but better than nothing when you're more dirt than person : )

At least one day's worth of extra clothes per person in case of accidents, getting caught in a sudden downpour, ending up covered in mud when hiking, etc. 

*** Weather radio!!! Not all campgrounds have wi-fi, and cell service can be hit-or-miss (and is usually at your carrier's roaming rate).

A hammer and a couple screwdrivers are always a good idea, and an adjustable wrench. Never know when you might need them- like the Boy Scouts say: Be Prepared!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it! I have good news!!!! We bought a pop up camper yesterday! We're really excited and we're going camping over the upcoming holiday weekend! It turned out to be a really good deal too! I wish I knew how to attach pictures of it so I can show you but I don't know how, sorry:( but it's pretty big...it sleeps up to 8 comfortably. I'm not really sure what exactly you call these pop ups, but it has a king bed on one side, a queen bed on the other, and then another queen bed that slides out....I've heard these are called slide out campers?... if that makes sense..so there's a lot more room inside of it than some of the other campers I've seen. It also comes with: roof top a/c, heat/thermostat, refrigerator, microwave (the lady was so nice! She gave it to us!), sink, inside/outside stove, & can you believe it!...a shower & a toilet inside the camper! I was amazed and the shower and toilet in the camper sold me!!! It's super clean, in excellent condition, & has so much storage space too, along wih a table, lots of extras came with it too like picnic plates, cups, & stuff. Our budget was originally $4000 for one but we ended up getting this one for only $3000! I think we got a great deal! Don't you? HAVE A GREAT MEMORIAL HOLIDAY WEEKEND! WE'RE OFF TO CAMP!!! YEAH!!!!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Quoting luzngkntrl:

Quoting wakymom:

Quoting luzngkntrl:

Quoting wakymom:

Quoting luzngkntrl:

Quoting wakymom:

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it! I have good news!!!! We bought a pop up camper yesterday! We're really excited and we're going camping over the upcoming holiday weekend! It turned out to be a really good deal too! I wish I knew how to attach pictures of it so I can show you but I don't know how, sorry:( but it's pretty big...it sleeps up to 8 comfortably. I'm not really sure what exactly you call these pop ups, but it has a king bed on one side, a queen bed on the other, and then another queen bed that slides out....I've heard these are called slide out campers?... if that makes sense..so there's a lot more room inside of it than some of the other campers I've seen. It also comes with: roof top a/c, heat/thermostat, refrigerator, microwave (the lady was so nice! She gave it to us!), sink, inside/outside stove, & can you believe it!...a shower & a toilet inside the camper! I was amazed and the shower and toilet in the camper sold me!!! It's super clean, in excellent condition, & has so much storage space too, along wih a table, lots of extras came with it too like picnic plates, cups, & stuff. Our budget was originally $4000 for one but we ended up getting this one for only $3000! I think we got a great deal! Don't you? HAVE A GREAT MEMORIAL HOLIDAY WEEKEND! WE'RE OFF TO CAMP!!! YEAH!!!!

Awesome! Have fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN