Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Oh the insanity of healthy eating

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM
  • 17 Replies

My DD (7.5) has become obsessed with 'healthy' food this year.

Mom is meat healthy?
Mom we can't eat gluten. (say what?)
Mom are chicken nuggets or hamburger healthier?  (neither darling)
Mom this juice has sugar in it.  (yes dear, all juice does)

Now, we eat pretty healthy to begin with.  I cook frozen food once in a blue moon.  Usually when I'm really really sick and that's about it.  I buy fresh meat and veggies.  I don't buy little debbie snacks or candy or soda as a habit.  I only buy 100% juice with no additives.  Happy meals maybe once a month when we're going somewhere and don't have time to sit down and eat.

Snacks are usually pops in the summer.  Crackers and fruit all year.

IDK where she's getting this stuff from?  School?  Maybe but her friend (our neighbor) who is in her class doesn't seem that concerned about it.  I thought maybe they were drilling it in extra hard because of the rise of childhood obesity...but that can't be it because according to her friend's mom, she's never even brought it up.

So this week I bought 12 grain bread.  Because really, we could do with some more whole grain in our diets.  I had pre-eclampsia with my last pregnancy so I'm trying to take any and all preventative measures to keep my heart healthy this tim.  Haha, silly me, this extra healthy bread has gluten in it. 

So I looked up gluten trying to figure out what the big deal is....and can't find a single bit of evidence that it is bad for you (unless you have a sensitivity to it or celiac[sp?] disease).  I remember some mom on some board telling me that cutting out gluten helped her child's ADHD symptoms...I'm not even sure how that would be remotely possible unless I'm vastly misunderstanding everything I read.  What do the intestines have to do with neuroreceptors?

Anyways....where is she getting this from?

I try to tell her that we eat pretty healthy, and that it is okay to have juice once in a while even though there is sugar in it.  That it is okay to eat dessert.  That no, neither happy meal choice is healthy but everything is okay in moderation.

She's not fat...not even pudgy.  Honestly she's a big underweight....well not so much underweight as undersized.  She used to be tall for her age but lately she's been growing very slowly.  The only thing we've done different is put her on silk milk a couple years ago because milk was making her vomit.  We do vitamins every morning as well so I'm guessing my short genes are just catching up.  So I don't think it's an issue with self-image or thinking she needs to diet.

I'm not sure what my point is here.
Maybe I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this?

How do I get her to stop worrying about every tiny little thing?

by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I've heard that gluten-free is the biggest diet fad, and so I doubt it is from a school teacher that she's hearing it from. My guess it's from a classmate hearing it from their parents or older sibling(s). But I could be wrong.

Have you asked her where she's getting the information from?

kLynch315
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Maybe she is misinformed in something. I remember I related most everything health wise to.death as a kid. So I was superparanoid that this or that would cause instant death. Maybe she is thinking like this, but maybe not to that degree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM

My sister in law does a glueten free diet because she has an allergy, but thats about it. It may be something at school that she has just taken too an extreme. I know some subjects will catch my childrens interest more than others. I think the only thing you can do is to continue to reinforce how important balance is. Excersize is important, but so is sleep, learning and play. Remind her that no food is really bad unless it makes you sick. Mcdonalds is just fine, once in a while, it becomes bad when you eat it everyday. Just like if you ate nothing but apples you would get sick. Apples are healthy, but your body needs other things as well.

bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM

If you do a gluten free diet when you don't need to it can actually make you GAIN weight. So you may want to point that out to her. There really is no benefit to a gluten free diet if you do not have an allergy to it.

Be glad she wants to be healthy though. It will be better for her in the long run. I would just try to keep reminding her that most things really are ok in moderation. They probably did do a health class in school which could be where she heard about it and it just stuck with her more than it did the other kids. Make sure no one is picking on her and telling her she is fat. That could also make her worry about it more.

auroragold
by on May. 23, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I had to giggle at your post!

KimberlyK
by on May. 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM
She may have a classmate who is on the Autism spectrum and has a sensitivity to gluten. A child like that is likely highly informed about gluten free eating and knows that ingesting even the smallest amount of gluten will mess with their system. What a child like that may not understand, is that not everyone has the same sensitivity.

You mighty want to take advantage of your daughter's current interest in the subject and pick up some age appropriate books about nutrition. It would be a great summer reading project you could do with her. You would be able to answer her question and make sure she was getting good and reasonable information - not being exposed to the latest fad diet. She would go back to school in the fall with some good information to share with the class or for a report :0)
MeggieLee22
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM

She is very sensitive to things.  I know they do current events in school and she'll come home all upset over something or the other.  She may very likely be just picking up on 'background' noise with the gluten thing.  Sometimes I think she's not listening and she'll repeat back a conversation or commercial to me.

I think I will go on amazon though and look for some books on nutrition.  She picks up bits and pieces of things then takes it to the extreme and I don't want her getting a complex about food.

It does have its good points though.  She likes to exercise...when she gets bored she'll start doing jumping jacks and 'girl' push-ups (on her knees instead of toes).  And I don't have to worry about her being dehydrated...when given a choice of what to drink she will pick water 90% of the time.  The kid actually loves water...prefers it to juice by a long shot.  With summer coming up I'm glad I can just give her a water bottle and not worry about her.  Her sister on the other hand has a sweet tooth, juice and juice and candy.  (That's what she wants to eat all the time, so I'm mean mom for not letting her.)

natesmom1228
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Interesting

MB13
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM

My high school son watched a movie in class about the horrible treatment of animals being raised for butchering.  He decided to become a vegetarian when he loves meat.  He was suddenly unable to eat any of his favorite foods and actually lost a bunch of weight (which he didn't need to because he is already on the slim side).  Fortunately, he only lasted a few months before he decided he was just plain HUNGRY!  They also showed a movie about McDonald's and he swore that off for a while too! 

MeggieLee22
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Haha oh, not really funny but it kind of is because I did something similar when I was a kid.  When I found out where meat comes from I didn't want to eat it for a looong time.  For some reason chicken was the only thing I would eat. (maybe because it didn't look like an animal all red and bloody and whatnot)

To this day I won't eat steak and I only eat hamburger when it's seasoned to the point where it no longer tastes like hamburger....and preferrably in sauce.  Although that's more of a texture thing for me than anything else.  I did try to make myself like hamburgers and steak but I can't seem to do it.

I do love me some pig though.

I made sure to tell my kids where the meat was coming from at an early age in the hopes of avoiding that stage.  I think it's working...at least with my (almost)5yo.  She loves steak, she follows me around while I'm prepping/cooking it saying "steeeaaaak" in about the same way a zombie would say "braaaiiins."  She also tells me that pigs are the best animals because they make bacon AND ham.  (I think she may be addicted to bacon.)

Quoting MB13:

My high school son watched a movie in class about the horrible treatment of animals being raised for butchering.  He decided to become a vegetarian when he loves meat.  He was suddenly unable to eat any of his favorite foods and actually lost a bunch of weight (which he didn't need to because he is already on the slim side).  Fortunately, he only lasted a few months before he decided he was just plain HUNGRY!  They also showed a movie about McDonald's and he swore that off for a while too! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)