Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what do you think?

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 1:09 AM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this
Is 12 yrs old too young to have a tv with cable in her room?? My husband and I disagree. Now that school is going to be out my 12 yr old loves to watch tv at night. So does my husband, so I thought get my daughter a tv so she can watch a bit before bed and my husband can have to living room tv. But he says only a tv and dvd so she can watch movies. I think she should have cable too.

We only have basic cable so its not like she would be watching something bad. Idk what is ur opinion??
by on May. 24, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahLizyB
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is 8 and he has cable in his room, but he never watches it. I see no issues at that age
littleacorn
by on May. 24, 2012 at 1:12 AM
No cable. DVDs are even a bit iffy in my opinion!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Tabitha
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 1:16 AM
2 moms liked this

My daughter is 9 and has had a tv with DirectTV since she was a toddler.  It meant that we did not have to have the kid shows that make me nuts in the living room.  You know your kid and if she will follow your restrictions about what channels she is allowed to watch.  Tabitha understands that if she is watching stuff that is not appropriate, it will be removed from her room.  She likes not having to disturb us on the weekends.  It works well for us, but you will need to work out what works for your family.

Elaine

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2012 at 3:40 AM
6 moms liked this
Nope..no tvs in kids bedroooms for us...period Not because I'm afraid of what they will watch, we are pretty liberal about that but I don't like the kids being holed up and hiding in their rooms the majority of the time.

You can play in your room with the door closed it you want privacy. If friends come over, door stay opened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2012 at 3:41 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't have cable period and are mostly Tv free
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I won't say there is a specific age - it's a total family decision.   My husband and I are in complete agreement that there will NOT be a television or DVD player in DD's bedroom. Period. 

auroragold
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Nope..no tvs in kids bedroooms for us...period Not because I'm afraid of what they will watch, we are pretty liberal about that but I don't like the kids being holed up and hiding in their rooms the majority of the time.

You can play in your room with the door closed it you want privacy. If friends come over, door stay opened.

This

Plus watching TV together makes one learn to compromise

mommieof1b4g
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:18 AM
1 mom liked this

my kids range from 1-7 & had cable on their TV's so they could watch disney & their other cartoons & i didnt have to suffer with the shows lol. i think you can put blocks on the TV so it can only go to channels you & DH approve of if that is what he is worried about.

mommynac
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:43 AM

I will not have a T.V. in DS room. In fact, I'm of the mind to stop T.V. for the summer. He is way too into it.

Strega
by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:10 AM

It's definitely a family decision. Our Kids both have TVs with Cable in their Rooms, and have for quite some time. But, they hardly ever spend any time in their Rooms at all.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)