Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Getting Married SUCKS!!!

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM
  • 14 Replies

We are getting married at the court house because its cheaper and needs to happen now . Anyway my mom calls me a week or two ago to let me know my brother who I have spent my life babying told her I am not F***ing going NOT hey I have to work and can't make it a F***ing not going. REALLY and WHY did she even need to tell me. Than calls me last night to let me know my grandmother who lives down the street from my mom 3 hours away who has NOTHING better to do isn't coming she feels like staying home.Than any time something comes up she reminds me how NO one came to the court house to see her get married from our family so I shouldn't feel bad and how horrible her day was every time I get excited about getting married. -

It feels like she is having a pity party over me getting married ,. AND seriously we are getting a ONE night stay at a resort and dinner that is it... 

by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM
4 moms liked this

That's not getting married that sucks, that's your family that sucks.  Getting married is great.  

Instead of focusing who will or won't be at your ceremony, focus on the marriage to come.  Don't let any of them keep you down.  Enjoy your day and your resort stay and carry on with your life with the people who love you.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I wasn't real crazy about the "getting married" part either, but the "being married" part is much better.  We had a small wedding and spent the night at a bed and breakfast and that was it.  We got married on a Saturday and I went back to work on Tuesday (DH didn't take any time off and went back to work on Monday).  I'm sorry that you're family isn't being more supportive for your big day.  Try to just focus on your own family - your fiance and kids.

SLOmommy
by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM
3 moms liked this
It's not about the wedding, it's about the marriage.
You don't want negative nellys at your special day anyway and it will be their loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM
I agree with the mom who said it's not about the wedding, but the marriage.

My husband and I got married at the court house as well. We had my husband's adult nephew with us (as a witness) and our then 4 year old daughter. That was it. We didn't have the time or money for a real wedding.

We got married on a Friday. My coworkers at the time took us out to lunch at a nice restaurant (we got married downtown and I also worked downtown). That evening, my parents babysat our daughter, and we went to a concert. We went back to work on Monday. No honeymoon. It was still a special day.

We just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this past April. We've been together for 20 years, total, our daughter is now 14, and we also have a 9 year old son (born 9 months and 1 day after our wedding, LOL).

I think sometimes people spend so much time worrying about the wedding, that they don't consider that they are making a commitment to spend the rest of their life with a person, that times aren't always going to be as exciting as they are on the wedding day.

I'm sorry your family is choosing not to come to your wedding. I hope you have a wonderful day, anyway! : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree 100%, and I couldn't have said it any better.

Quoting jillbailey26:

That's not getting married that sucks, that's your family that sucks.  Getting married is great.  

Instead of focusing who will or won't be at your ceremony, focus on the marriage to come.  Don't let any of them keep you down.  Enjoy your day and your resort stay and carry on with your life with the people who love you.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
This is good advice.
We got married at the court house.
Dh parents were are witnesses and that was it.
Me and Dh got married on a Friday went out to dinner, just the two of us and then we went home.

Our marriage is happy and strong.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I'm sorry. You should be excited for you. The marriage is about you and your husband and it really doesn't matter who else is there. It sucks that people have to be rude about it, but don't let them win. Have your day without them and remember that they are the ones who are missing out. Don't let them ruin your day. I got married in a courthouse and we just had our kids, my husbads parents and brother and my mom. That was fine with me because I never really wanted a big wedding anyway. But just remember this is about you and your husband, not the people who choose not to be there or the people who try to make you feel bad about it.

STKsMomma
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM
My dh and I got married at the courthouse too! He was in airborne jump school and got a 4hr pass to do it. One of his buddies was our witness. We got married had a quick lunch and I dropped him back off at the barracks on post! Our daughter who was 21 days old wad their too! We will celebrate our 11th anniv on August 22nd! Enjoy your day and screw everyone else!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Very well said. :-]

Quoting jillbailey26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShaeD
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Its your family that is the suckage. YOU'RE GETTING MARRIED YAYweddingThey are the ones missing out on an important event. Enjoy what you have and forget them and how they feel. As a mom this is one day that IS about YOU

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)