Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do your kids play outside by themselves?

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM
  • 74 Replies
1 mom liked this

I read a post earlier on this board that got me thinking, Do your kids play outside alone?  Only in the backyard or back and front? How far away do you let them go from the house with out an adult and how old are your they? what are your rules?

I have 3 kids 8,5 and 23 months.  My 8 and 5 yr olds play out by themselves, they have rules, I have to beable to see them from a window and they have to stay between this neighbors yard and this neighbors(about 4 houses) and they have to ask before they can play in anyones backyards or in there house?

Worship till your victory is complete!!   
by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsRinehart2010
by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

no never. my daughter are 4 and 18 months they dont even walk out my front door by their self . I live in the city and I dont trust any one what so ever. too many sicko's out there in my oppinion. wait correction my girls dont even walk off the front porch by them self.  that is just me Ive had people try and talk to my daughter when Im sitting on my steps  watching them play so I wouldnt trust to let them go out by their self,  I mean I dont care what any  one else does with their children, for instance the lady across the street lets her kids play out side by their self, my husband was allowed to growing up but he nor I will let the girls out side by their self.

babylamb2011
by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:58 PM
My 8yo can play outside alone but cannot leave our yard/driveway. We have a long private driveway that's off the street. I also have to be able to see him from the window. Never when I'm asleep, in the shower, etc... I have to be downstairs where we can both hear and see each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 25, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Yes, he can. But he's 12. When he was a younger elementary kid, he had to be in our yard. Now, he just has to be in sight of the house.

jillbailey26
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

My 9 & 8 year old boys play outside by themselves.  They can play in the front yard, back yard or in our neighbor's backyard if they're home.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

reesesami
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Our back yard is completely "fenced" in with a brick wall between the neighbors' yard and ours and surrounded by a rock wall the rest of the way, so my 8 year old daughter can play out there by herself whenever she wants. The front yard is "fenced" in with brick and wrought iron so she can play out there as long as I know and the front door is open so I can hear her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM

The older kids yes. We live down a steep driveway but they know they are not allowed to go up it. They can play in the front or back.............. the baby is not allowed outside when I am not with him.

pixiemg1
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM

My kids are 6 and just this year we started letting them play outside by themselves.  Our yard is completely fenced in, if it wasn't I don't think I would let them. 

ladyvamp5489
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM

yes mine do. We live in a small apt complex and they are 9, 11, and 15. my 15 yr old goes about town with friends too. 

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM

not at our house. they can however play by them selves at my grandmothers house, she l;ives on a priviate drive, 1 mile from the "main" road, and in the country, plus unless im in the bathroom or back bedroom i can pretty much see/hear them the whole time

they are almost 4 and almost 6

raerae725
by New Member on May. 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Mine are 12, 6, and 2.  The 12 year old has quite a bit of freedom.  The 6 year old can play in the fenced in backyard.  His older brother can walk him down to a friends house.  We live in the back of a residential area with very little traffic.  The 2 year old can be in the fenced in back yard long enough for me to run inside and use the restroom or grab drinks if the 12 year old is with him.  At the moment we have a small kiddy pool set up so even that isn't allowed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN