Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do your kids get a summer reading list?

Posted by on May. 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Max
  • 100 Replies

If they do, what's on it?

I have this thing about children's literature. I get a little offended when there are books I'm unaware of. LOL

Wondering what other school recommend for kids in different grades. 

by on May. 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen113000
by Jenna on May. 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM
I'm not sure yet. My son is in kindergarten now... haven't heard about summer work yet for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this

We haven't in the past, but it seems that this year (3rd grade) everything changed, so she might get one.

ProudMommy51006
by on May. 28, 2012 at 7:02 AM
My dd didn't get one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chymerra
by on May. 28, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I know that they do just not sure what is on it.  She's in Kindergarten.

jaytee
by Jen on May. 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Not sure yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyto3bees
by on May. 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Nooe
scapermom
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 9:16 AM
They've put out a pamphlet in the past, it's from the school district & can be found in the library. I don't know why they don't send it home with the kids? It's also posted on the school website, but you have to go look for it. I haven't checked this years out yet, but will once school is out. I'm thinking there will be more non-fiction books on there since that's the focus of the new common core curriculum. Oh, and it's not a mandatory reading list, just suggested. So they won't get tested on it or anything.
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Jess is going into first so I don't know if she'll have a required list but she will be reading over the summer as she enjoys it.  Jason is going into honors ELA in high school so he will definitel have a reading list but since we have several weeks of school left we haven't gotten the list yet.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 28, 2012 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this

The school doesn't give them one. But I do. I give them a list of a few books I would LIKE for them to read before summer is over. They usually read them and tell me how much they loved the book.

I actually need to finish my list.

matofour
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM
4 moms liked this
We do. But I hate it, my kids have to read and do projects on books. I haven't gotten the list yet.
I hate that they are told what to read over the summer. I realize that schools do this because there are many parents who don't make their kids read. But, we read every day, all year. I would rather summer reading be completely fun, and child led. I have a child whose dyslexic, and reading is a struggle, and during the school year she has to read what she's told. During the summer, I like her to be able to read whatever peeks her interest. Especially since she struggles so much to like reading.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN