Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your kids get a summer reading list?

Posted by on May. 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Max
  • 100 Replies

If they do, what's on it?

I have this thing about children's literature. I get a little offended when there are books I'm unaware of. LOL

Wondering what other school recommend for kids in different grades. 

by on May. 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen113000
by Jenna on May. 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM
I'm not sure yet. My son is in kindergarten now... haven't heard about summer work yet for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by Crystal on May. 28, 2012 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this

We haven't in the past, but it seems that this year (3rd grade) everything changed, so she might get one.

ProudMommy51006
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 7:02 AM
My dd didn't get one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chymerra
by Jolie on May. 28, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I know that they do just not sure what is on it.  She's in Kindergarten.

jaytee
by Jen on May. 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Not sure yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyto3bees
by on May. 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Nooe
scapermom
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 9:16 AM
They've put out a pamphlet in the past, it's from the school district & can be found in the library. I don't know why they don't send it home with the kids? It's also posted on the school website, but you have to go look for it. I haven't checked this years out yet, but will once school is out. I'm thinking there will be more non-fiction books on there since that's the focus of the new common core curriculum. Oh, and it's not a mandatory reading list, just suggested. So they won't get tested on it or anything.
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Jess is going into first so I don't know if she'll have a required list but she will be reading over the summer as she enjoys it.  Jason is going into honors ELA in high school so he will definitel have a reading list but since we have several weeks of school left we haven't gotten the list yet.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 28, 2012 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this

The school doesn't give them one. But I do. I give them a list of a few books I would LIKE for them to read before summer is over. They usually read them and tell me how much they loved the book.

I actually need to finish my list.

matofour
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM
4 moms liked this
We do. But I hate it, my kids have to read and do projects on books. I haven't gotten the list yet.
I hate that they are told what to read over the summer. I realize that schools do this because there are many parents who don't make their kids read. But, we read every day, all year. I would rather summer reading be completely fun, and child led. I have a child whose dyslexic, and reading is a struggle, and during the school year she has to read what she's told. During the summer, I like her to be able to read whatever peeks her interest. Especially since she struggles so much to like reading.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)