Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is anyone keeping same sleep schedule during summer?

Posted by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:09 AM
  • 49 Replies

We have such an erratic schedule in our home.

I work 11p-7a Tues, Wend, Sat, Sun. So even on my days off I try to stay awake late or wake up at 3am. Sleeping my regular schedule has been hard the last three weeks since the kids have been out of school. I am use to sleeping while everyone is at school.

My DD who goes is entering 1st grade has had a strict bedtime of 7pm since last october after discovering the few nights we had activities going on and not going to bed til 8:30; caused attention issues the following day. She is a natural early riser and she is the type that takes a while to get settled down and fall to sleep (I'm the same exact way)

My two StepSons have had the bedtime of 8:30 for a few years (one is entering 1st grade and the other 5th) and my DD who turns 5 this aug has a bedtime of 8p but it can take her until 10p to go to sleep.

DH has been trying to keep the boys on the same schedule so when fall comes around we don't have issues with bedtimes. Other than me loosing sleep (the boys just don't get that we share a bedroom wall and that running around in the hallway keeps me awake, DH tries his best but it happens) My girls have been at their dads since school let out and I don't expect them to come home for more than two days at a time this summer since they really don't get that much time with him during the school year. I know that he is allowing them to go to bed when they feel like it; which means my older daughter will go into her bedroom at 8pm and passout without saying goodnight to anyone lol. and my youngest will fall asleep when her dad does (at least he thinks, he said he has been leaving the living room light on and he can tell she plays with toys and colors before going to sleep) It's been past 98deg around here which is high for this area at this time. This has left no time for any of the kids to go outside and play for extended periods of time.

I have thought about telling DH it's ok to let everyone stay up until at least the time that I leave for work on work nights. That allows them more time outside at dusk and dark to play and gives me a few extra hours in the morning to sleep. I just don't know how healthly this would be for them. If we did it this way two weeks before school we would slowly move up their bedtimes back to what they were. I'm not worried about my eldest DD because when she is tired she is really good about going to bed in her own timeframe. and if her sister is allowed to stay up I know that her sister will get a few things out of their room and stay out til she wants to go to bed.

by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
careyphotoo
by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:23 AM
We will try it'll be be about 8 that they go to bed unless we have stuff goin on then that's different but if not well shoot for 8!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auroragold
by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:35 AM

DD will actually have to wake earlier to leave for camp every day this summer so I imagine she'll have to get to bed earlier too

AnGLInterrupted
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM

We're probably going to keep the same schedule.  DD is an early riser and always has been.  She gets up at the crack of down even on the weekends.  That's just how her body works I guess.  So even if I WANT to sleep in, I can't LOL.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Definitely not keeping the same sleep schedule here.  I'm a teacher so I'm home during the summer.  My son and I are night owls.  We'll be up until 2 every night.  My daughter goes to bed at 8:30 now but will probably start going about 9:30.  DH probably won't change his schedule as he's not as much of a night owl as us (he's not a morning person either).

matofour
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 9:51 AM
No way
We stay at the pool until seven, so by the time we get home shower, eat, and all that stuff it's usually around ten. My kids will sleep late in the morning too, which is great.
We are also traveling for the first month, which will be guaranteed late nights. The first week in Orlando we will be waking up early, but that's it. After that we will sleep until we wake up and enjoy the day.
I love summer for that reason alone, staying up late and sleepin late!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Jen on May. 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM
The kiddos go to bed at 10 pm during the summer. About a week before school starts they start back on their school schedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM
We don't because if we did Dh wouldn't see the kids in the summer.
He works long hours and sometimes doesn't get home untill 9-10 and leaves at 6 am.
He likes to at least be able to tuck them in at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Same here except for the added part. :)

Quoting jaytee:

The kiddos go to bed at 10 pm during the summer. Sometimes later.  About a week before school starts they start back on their school schedule.

PurplePieguy
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Nope, my kids can stay up as late as they want (my kids are 16, 14, 12, 11 & 5 and the 5 yr old is usually asleep by 9 or 10 because she still gets up at 7), but about a week or two before school starts they start back on their regular schedule.

mom2maryjoseph
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Yes we keep the same schedule.  Ocassionaly they are allowed a late night which means being up till 9.  It just helps to keep the same schedule at least for our family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)