Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Am I the only one who expects...

Posted by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM
  • 69 Replies
6 moms liked this
...my kids to get hurt?

I believe that kids need to run and play and experience things in life. However, a lot of the FUN things in life have some risk...

I am AMAZED that we haven't gone to the ER for a play related issue...

All these posts about kids getting hurt at school and how the parents are so pissed, or cousins roughhousing and the parents getting into fights and not speaking anymore because of it...really?

When I was 5 I went across hot "monkey bars" and burnt blisters in both hands and had to have them treated at the fire dept. At 10 yo, I climbed a tree, fell out and broke my arm in 3 places. At 12 I tripped on a mini-BBQ full of boiling water and got 3rd degree burns that I will always have scars from....

Was I more accidnet prone than most? Probably...but we also had SO many adventures! It was an awesome childhood.

Why can't more parents just relax and let their kids have fun?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2012 at 12:11 AM
I let my kids have fun and do dare-devil things within reason. Just today we took our 8yr old twin boys to a BMX track. They rode for 2hrs down steep grades and over jumps. Was I nervous....sure, but we let them go anyway.

I don't agree with fighting or encouraging them to wrestle unsupervised and I want notified if they get hurt at school but I let my boys have plenty of fun...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Some can't afford the ER visits. I'm still waiting for the bill for my daughter's 4 stitches when her face fell on top of a big rock she was picking up that was too heavy.

all4Him999
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:21 AM

My oldest fell off her bike, splitting her chin open and received 2 inner stitches and 7 outer stitches when she was 6.  Last year,  my 3 year old son pushed his 7 year old sister off her bed and she broke her arm.  I'm a nurse, so I don't scare easily and neither do my kids.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Awesome! BMX is a blast!

DS2 raced BMX for about 6 months..the summers here are over 100* and he decided he didn't like racing in the heat :( After we bought the whole outfit and the $$$ lightweight racing bike...I'm hoping when the weather cools down he will take it up again.

Quoting vermontmoms:

I let my kids have fun and do dare-devil things within reason. Just today we took our 8yr old twin boys to a BMX track. They rode for 2hrs down steep grades and over jumps. Was I nervous....sure, but we let them go anyway.

I don't agree with fighting or encouraging them to wrestle unsupervised and I want notified if they get hurt at school but I let my boys have plenty of fun...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomVsBoys
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Some risks are acceptable, some aren't.  They can climb the trees in the yard, ds1 climbs up to where the tire swing is tied to the tree, he often gets down by hanging from a branch and dropping. They cannot jaywalk across the highway or play "chicken" with traffic on our street.  Neither of our boys are strong swimmers, they can play in the shallow water without life jackets, they cannot jump off the diving board into the deepend with out one.  They can go for quad rides with our neighbor (totally trustworthy), they cannot go for a ride without a helmet. I want my kids to play and have fun, boys like "risks", spending time at the hospital is not fun. 

chinosruca
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't get pissed if my kid gets hurt. But, the most recent post I read about getting pissed over it was very valid. A girl had a head injury that was not reported to the parents. It turned out to be a concussion. I would be pissed in that situation. I do expect to be informed if my kid is hurt, but don't get angry when I do get the calls. My daughters school is very good about reporting injuries to me or my husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Love
by on May. 29, 2012 at 2:23 AM
My kids are 6, 4, & 3 (come July), they all climb and jump and whatnot. My 6 yo came home from school one day and was telling me about 2 boys pulling her hair and pinching her, no note from the school. That night I was brushing her hair and noticed a gash behind her ear! I was furious! She ended up telling me one of the boys did it. I called the school, plus sent a note, the teacher still claims it didn't happen at school! It just depends on the situation for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSulli2005
by on May. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
I've actually gone today on the "oh you're fine" thig before. My son was 3.5 and messing around in the trash can while I took the bag out and I guess he fell. he cried a bit and I scolded him for playing in the trash then proceeded to clean he closet. next thing I know hes asking me what's wrong with him and has blood all over. Apparently he'd hit the corner of the wall and ended up with 2 staples. I do expect my kids to get hurt and expect many E.R trips between 4 kids, but I try to prevent them as much as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jacrawford
by on May. 29, 2012 at 4:20 AM
My DD is in comp cheer & u wanna talk about getting hurt doing something fun hell the head couch has had a boot on her leg since march from her thinking she could still do stuff she did when she was younger its not the falling down & getting hurt that scares me its all the idiots that are around now. When I was a kid I could go all over no issues now there are ppl who abduct kids who are outside their own home playing that is what scares me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 29, 2012 at 4:29 AM
My girls are in cheer, too, and I'm surprised we haven't had any broken bones yet. Sprained ankles/wrists, jammed fingers, bruises the size of Texas...Being a flyer is downright dangerous sometimes! But hey love it more than anything in the world.

Quoting jacrawford:

My DD is in comp cheer & u wanna talk about getting hurt doing something fun hell the head couch has had a boot on her leg since march from her thinking she could still do stuff she did when she was younger its not the falling down & getting hurt that scares me its all the idiots that are around now. When I was a kid I could go all over no issues now there are ppl who abduct kids who are outside their own home playing that is what scares me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)