Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teacher gifts??

Posted by on May. 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM
  • 43 Replies

Good morning...my first comment/question......    My children go to public school in PA and I was wondering if anyone else has been asked for donations for teacher gifts throughout the school year. I don't remember giving my elementary teachers cash gifts and I have really been surprised by how I have been asked by homeroom volunteer moms to do so...  Here is the email I got yesterday in "request" of a cash gift for my daughter's 4th grade teacher.....what would your reaction be? I am insulted as this is a middle class communtiy and not Bev Hills as she makes it sound!

Hello!

Let's Celebrate A Fabulous Year with Mr. Blank!

The end-of-year party is scheduled for Thursday, June 7th from 2-3 pm.  It's just for the kids plus 3 parent helpers -- so I'll need 2 lovely assistants.

Mr. B has requested something low-key.  Guess the disco balls and limbo sticks are out.  Bummer.

We still need some yummy food though. I WILL be providing all of the food, party goods and whatever else we need.

You may have been fooled into thinking this was a "food" sign-up.  Well...it's not. It's a "Let's contribute to a CASH class gift for The Rockstar".

Cash is King.  Ties, #1 teacher mugs, paper weights and the like are not so attractive and desired by a veteran teacher in my most humble opinion who probably has about 50 of each anyway.

Forgo a few of your lattes, ignore the pedicure you usually get, eat-in for a weekend, forgo Pina's Pizza this Saturday or whatever sacrifice you can make to "pay-it-forward". Let's show our man some love.

As I mentioned before, it's a GREAT financial sacrifice for him to choose to teach our children, and he is FABULOUS at what he does.  He definitely found his calling. And yes, he has a new wife and 2 daughters, so Cash REALLY is King for Mr. I.

He could have been blinded by the glitz of the almighty dollar working in another profession, but he wasn't.  He's helping "Billy" understand Everyday Math instead.

So...ALL of the sign up slots will be for monies for The Rockstar.  And no, I'm not embarrassed begging for "my people", and he's "my people" -- so I'll happily beg for him.

And yes, I will be donating at least $20, so I'm not asking you for anything I'm not willing to do myself.  Let's make it happen for our man!  He deserves it!

Again, I will also provide all the food, paper goods and all the other party supplies so ya'll can give the cash you would have spent on party items to our cash collection for The Rockstar instead.

Take care. And remember...Good Karma will always come back to you when you least expect it and you when you most need it.

by on May. 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on May. 29, 2012 at 9:05 AM

WoW is all I can say.  That sounds so tacky.  I could see if she worded it better and not mentioned the Karma thing. Some people just can't contribute anything. 

I never remember bringing anything in for my teachers as a child. I do let my younger kids bring in things for their teachers if they want. Most times its a potted plant or something easy like that.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Our room moms send out a note to parents asking for voluntary donations for a class gift. You can participate or not. $5-20 is the norm around here. The room mom usually buys a gift card  for a local mall or something personal for the teacher. Again, you can choose to participate or not. It isn't mandatory.

The letter itself she sent.... she seems to have forgot her audience and is trying to be a comedian. It does come across as tacky.... is she an eccentric type of personality? She sounds like she is trying too hard to be funny. Asking for money is hard enough, but trying to humor people into giving is.... awkward.

natesmom1228
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Wow my response would be who are you to tell me what I am to buy. Thank you, but I will be doing something on my own.

scapermom
by Member on May. 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM
It's become common practice here in NJ for class moms to collect $ from parents for holiday & end of year gifts. I think they ask for $5 or $10 though. I usually contribute, or if not i give a gift on my own. But I have to tell you if our class mom wrote an annoying email like yours did, I might not be so quick to donate... I guess she feels she needs to be all "rah rah" to get people to participate?
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2012 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
The email is a bit over the top. I usually don't do class gifts and give my own, usually a gift card. This year for DS's teacher I ordered cute personalized notepads since she just had a baby and put a cartoon of their family on the notepads. DD's teacher is out on maternity leave so I'm not sure if I'll get her something but I got a cute bracelet for her sub. We're in PA too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Parentfirst12
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I agree with giving some type of small gift, but this is the second request from her of the exact nature, first being at Christmas time. She ending up collecting enough cash for a $300 visa gift card, so I think something low key and a more polite way to ask would fit this time around!

lalasmama2007
by on May. 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this
The email is very tacky! At my DD's school you are asked if you want to contribute $2 for a group gift instead of buying an individual gift, but they also make it very clear that no gift is necessary.
MissyB1011
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I live in PA, but DD attends a Christian school. DD is 1 of 10 kids in a class. Usually the kids contribute to a class gift for teacher appreciation. I've not heard of the whole class doing an end of year gift. With that being said...DD does make a card for her teacher and we give a gift card based on what the teacher is interested in. I have appreciated DD's teachers and everything that they help her accomplish. She is blossoming into a terrific young lady. I do a small gift just to say thanks.

Juanita679
by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM
WoW

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM
5 moms liked this

BTW- if it is offensive to you, bring it to the attention of the principal. That way, in the future at the beginning of the yr, the teachers can give room moms some sort of guidelines about how to professionally communicate with parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)