Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I'm at my wits end, I don't know what to do anymore!

Posted by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hello, my name is Chenyl and I need some advise. I have a 5 year old son I've been having some issues with. He has decided recently that he is going to climb over fences and not stay in our yard. He plays with the neighbors dog and brings it into ours. Tonight he decided to go through the fence and jump on the neighbors trampoline without permission, he didn't tell me he was leaving. I didn't even know he was gone until I looked out the window and saw him in the front yard where he knows he is not allowed to be without an adult! I went to the door to get him in the house and the neighbor had brought him home THANK GOD! I just don't know what do to with him. I've spanked him, yelled at him and I even talked with him calmly about how unsafe it is to leave the yard ( while balling my eyes out). Please help! Any advise will be greatly appreciated!banging head into wall

Sweet Pea

by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LivinBlessed
by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM
3 moms liked this
It sounds to me that he's not mature enough to be in the yard on his own. I would keep him inside until I was able to be outside with him. I can't think of any other way to keep him safe{:-} Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea4806
by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM
3 moms liked this

The thing with that is that he's been able to play in the backyard by himself until now. We've never had the issue before. From now on til he can prove otherwise, we will go out with him.

carakitty
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Just don't let him go out unsupervised. Common sense. But looks like you just figured that out. Good luck and I hope he stays safe under your watchful eye now.

auroragold
by on May. 30, 2012 at 5:44 AM
2 moms liked this

when they start testing the boundaries, change the boundaries.

If you can't be "eyes on" him all the time, put a little bell on the top of your door so you can hear him open it

Cindy18
by Cruella on May. 30, 2012 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

That's how it always is with kids. They are allowed to do something until they abuse the privilege. Then, guess what, it's gone!

He will learn early that you will take the privilege away if he doesn't listen. That's great, better for him to learn it early than when he is a teen and the dangers are greater.

Quoting SweetPea4806:

The thing with that is that he's been able to play in the backyard by himself until now. We've never had the issue before. From now on til he can prove otherwise, we will go out with him.

Cindy

2Busy4Choas
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the Previous Posters.  Our daughter will be 6 in Aug but there is no way I will let her go outside alone. One reason, we have a pool, neoghbors has dogs I dont trust, and PEOPLE (strangers) these days are mischievous- Call me parinoid but too much can happen and Lord knows theses little ones can find it LOL.

I would make him earn his priviledge back. Yes it maybe inconvient and you will have to sit with him but until he proved he could follow the rules he would never be outside alone. Then I would test him and only leave him like 2 or 3 minutes while I watched out a window. Better safe than sorry ... Good Luck

MamaGlitterBug
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM
He's testing boundaries. For every time he does this take something away. When he's down to nothing he will figure it out. Consistency is key. Catch him doing good and praise him.

I'm Jess...wife to Jared of 10 years...Mama of 4. 3ofmyown+1ofhis=4kids:   Amanda (sd) 12, Amethyst  9 (Pdd-Nos), Isaac 7 (Autism and Epilepsy) & Elijah 5.. I proudly breastfed Elijah until his 4th birthday when he completely self-weaned.  I support Nursing In Public and am anti-vaccines.

ShaeD
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I thought this too

Quoting LivinBlessed:

It sounds to me that he's not mature enough to be in the yard on his own. I would keep him inside until I was able to be outside with him. I can't think of any other way to keep him safe{:-} Good luck!

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I would take away the privilege of him able to play in the backyard unsupervised until he can start following the rules. I'd take away the privilege for a week. If he breaks the rule again, then the time for the privilege would be extended for over a week. That cycle would repeat until he could follow the rules.

CrazedMomof2
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I would not let him go outside alone ever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)