Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Thermostat- what do you keep yours on ?

Posted by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM
  • 47 Replies

If you have central AC ... What do you keep yours on in the Summer months?

We live in a split level house and it is hard to keep the upper level (which we live in most) cool. I always dread the hotest part...

Just curious what you keep your thermostat on...  :)

by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on May. 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM

We have a bi-level and it is kept at 72 or 68. I con't really remember but right now the ac doesn't work so well.  It was only really hot for a few days so far so I haven't turned it on for the season. Fans got us by for those days and the windows are still open and cooled off the house now.

AirForceWife13
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:45 AM
I keep mine on 62 at all times. I actually had to get one of those lock boxes for mine so dh and kids would stop turning it up all the time. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM

We keep ours set at 78 most of the time.  Sometimes we turn it down lower, like if I'm in the kitchen cooking or baking or moving around a lot doing housework.  When we leave our house we set it at 79.  We got a new AC unit a few years ago and also had insullation added to our attic but we live in Florida and even when the AC is set to 78 it still runs almost nonstop when it's really hot out.  I can't imagine what our bill would be like if we cranked it down really low all the time.

We rented a two story townhouse before we bought our house and after that I knew that I wanted a single story home.  My SIL has a two story house and she's always complaining about how hot it is up in the bedrooms.  If she wants to cool the bedrooms upstairs, then the living area downstairs is freezing cold.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM
we have a 2 story, we keep ours on 77 in the summer. 65 in the winter
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Strega
by on May. 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

We keep it around 75º in the Warm/Hot Months, and 70º in the Cold Months. We have a Raised Ranch, 2 Floors.

We usually retreat to the Downstairs when it gets really Hot because Cooling off the Upstairs is a challenge, even with the Central AC.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

In the summer, I keep it at 71-74, depending on how hot it is upstairs and how cold it's feeling downstairs. 

In the winter, I try to keep it around 68/69.

andrea96
by on May. 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

79 while we're there during the day, unless I'm heavy-duty cleaning or cooking and turn it down. Maybe down to 74-75 at night. It's a few degrees warmer during the week when we're not there. We have a two-story, with a damper to control airflow and a separate thermostat for each floor. We keep pretty much the same temperature set year-round. We really didn't use our heater at all this past winter, the air conditioner was on most of the time.

Fields456
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Between 72-75 durin the summer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShaeD
by on May. 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

75 on average but right now OFF BECAUSE THE !@#$%&*(^&%$!@#$%^&*(*&^$%#@#$%^&*()*&^$#@!@#%^&*( THING IS BROKEN

Eviesmommy
by on May. 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

We don't have central air. We do have window units that go into our bedroom windows upstairs though. So during the day, it's just fans on, windows open as long as it's not raining. I rarely go upstairs during the day, so AC's stay off. At night, we turn the AC's on. The one in DD's room doesn't have a thermostat, it's just a cheapo AC unit. But we're relying on it to cool DD#2's room too (their rooms are attached). So we pick a number and speed depnding upon how hot it is. Last night it was roasting, so it was cranked up to 10, and put on high. I usually turn it down a bit and shut her door again when the baby wakes up in the middle of the night. (Baby comes to bed with me.) The thermostat on the AC in our room is usually set somewhere between 65 and 70. We turn it on when we put the girls to bed and close the door so it's nice and cool by the time we go to bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)