Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How much do grades mean to you?

Posted by   + Show Post
I am disappointed in my son's report card. I volunteer in the classroom so I have seen all of the kids, all year. His teacher did not change a single grade from the last parent conference. I was shocked since she wrote that he had made great progress. In talking to my husband, he said that we know our son and know what we need to work on him to make it better next year.

So I wanted to ask you guys how much do grades mean to you?? I don't want to be the parent that has to go in and beg for appropriate grades for my child. I think I want a male teacher to see the difference. I know my son's teacher prefers girls and that shows in so many ways.

Just wanted to see what you guys think about your child's grade, do you feel like if reflects your parenting?

Just curious...
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Replies (41-50):
Moms_Angels1960
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Grades are a big deal to us and I think our parenting skills do reflect on her grades. The teachers are very impressed with what we do with her and how well she learns. If she got anything lower then a B we would certainly be concerned.

Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:12 AM
I don't mind a C, but I know she is capable of As and Bs. She tested proficient on the state tests. Math I know is sometimes hard for her, but she tries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Sorry we're homeschoolers, no grades here. 

However, in school grades meant A LOT to me. It was absolutely a reflection of my self-worth, in my eyes, but as a parent I don't see that it is a reflection of your parenting style. 

brittonJ
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:37 AM

We don't get grades yet, but based on my son's abilities thus far (sounding out words at 2.5 and everything else he did early) I assume he won't have trouble academically. Behaviorally, he's always been better for his preschool teachers than me. ;) He goes twice a week for social/emotional growth, especially since he's an only child at the moment.

When the time comes, if I know he could be pulling A's when he's getting C's, we will work on it. If I know he's trying his best, then that's fine. There's always room for improvement, but in the long run it's more about what the child is learning and how they are growing versus a grade. Especially in elementary and middle school, high school is where the grades really begin to count for something.

brittonJ
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:43 AM

B is considered above average. C is average. So yes, A should be reserved for those students who only ever get 1 or 2 questions wrong.

Quoting mckinneymom918:

I think grades are a crock. I have a daughter in 2nd grade and feel that while they ARE grading right and wrong, there are very few opportunities (only tests are graded, except for math, they received one total homework grade) for the kids to redeem themselves if they have a bad day (cause we all know it happens), plus her tests were only 10-15 questions, so guess what? miss 1 or 2 and they already have a B, I'm sorry but perfection should not be the only thing that that an A is allowed for. so yes, my daughter brought home Bs all year long on her report cards, and I was fine with it- because missing 1 or 2 questions still is acceptable. perfection can never be acheived all the, and I'm not sure why they have to put that much pressure on the kids so young.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:20 AM
I agree. however, at my daughters school on most tests the only way to get an A is by missing 0. spelling is the only exception, they can miss 1 and still have an A. but I don't think that only the tests should count, even when I was in high school (which wasn't all that long ago)- more than tests were taken as grades. that's probably where I have most of the problem actually. there are students that are very knowledgable but have a hard time taking a test, but hard enough to receive help, they should still have an opportunity for their grade to reflect more of their knowledge.

Quoting brittonJ:

B is considered above average. C is average. So yes, A should be reserved for those students who only ever get 1 or 2 questions wrong.

Quoting mckinneymom918:

I think grades are a crock. I have a daughter in 2nd grade and feel that while they ARE grading right and wrong, there are very few opportunities (only tests are graded, except for math, they received one total homework grade) for the kids to redeem themselves if they have a bad day (cause we all know it happens), plus her tests were only 10-15 questions, so guess what? miss 1 or 2 and they already have a B, I'm sorry but perfection should not be the only thing that that an A is allowed for. so yes, my daughter brought home Bs all year long on her report cards, and I was fine with it- because missing 1 or 2 questions still is acceptable. perfection can never be acheived all the, and I'm not sure why they have to put that much pressure on the kids so young.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:26 AM

We expect A's and B's (preferably more A's than B's) because we know how intelligent they are and we know what they're capable of.  I've always told them that if they pay attention, turn their completed work in on time, and do their best - that's good enough for us.  If they happen to hit a subject that they struggle with, it's my job to make sure they get as much help, additional instruction, etc. necessary to help them.

Though I know grades aren't everything - and teachers all grade so differently, it's not always an accurate representation of their success in school - but it IS what colleges will look at (in addition to other things like community service, extra-curriculars, etc.) and we fully intend for all three boys to go to college.  So, yes, learning that grades are important at an early age is something we focus on.

Juanita679
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM
bump

Love060708kids
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I don't think the grades reflect my parenting; however, I believe their behavior does.  Their grades show what they know, what they need to improve on and how well they are adjusting.  My son was tested for the gifted and talented program, I guess he scored very high, according to his teacher.  Of course, I thought my kid was smart but I didn't put down on his registration paperwork that he may be gifted and talented, I was quite surprised that his teacher wanted him tested.  

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Its more important to me to know that they are doing their bast sometimes that results in good grades sometimes a lower grade still means that they tried they just may not have gotten it and we will continue to work on.

Grades are not so cut and dried.  And honestly my dd gets A's that in my opnion she does nto deserve b/c I know she didn't really try and sometimes its the opp.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN