Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Are you doing any somewhat structured learning this summer?

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM
  • 40 Replies

I took my son to the library today to return our books and check out new ones. He was very specific in what he wanted to check out. He wanted books on outer space and videos about animals. When we got home, he got out his paper and pencil and began "studying". He did this for about an hour. I would like to do some science experiments and I do want him to keep up with his reading. I would like to make a schedule for myself that way half the summer won't go by and we haven't done anything. Do you have themes for the week? Any suggestions?

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
janitablue
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Click here Summer Science Activities

Try Science at Home

Kids Science Experiments

I hope these links help. Good luck

Due9
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM

We don't have themes. But my son does go to tutoring and will be prepared for the 5th grade. We go to the library, read, write essays, work on creative writing etc etc. He has a great tutor that is Chinese. She is excellent. She gives alot of homework but he is really learning alot.  He will continue tutoring all summer and pretty much all year. I believe public education is just not enough. We have to fill in the holes. The purpose of his tutoring is to advance him in subjects and not because he is behind.

juggling

TJFBGMommy
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM

My kids Godmother's are both teachers so next week we're setting up a program for 3 of my kids. Not sure how structured it's going to be and we'll be going to our cabin every weekend so it won't be every day thing. But they'll be working on their IEP goals to start with and we'll just go from there.

kameka
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM
We get a workbook for next year's grade and I have her do a few pages every day. I sit and teach her anything new she needs help with and we do some previous year reviews.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittonJ
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:47 AM

My son is only 2.5 but we always do learning activities - right now we are focused on fine motor activities because he has jumped from knowing the letters to knowing the sounds, and now he has been sounding out letters and wanting to write. We read about anything he wants, whenever he wants to. Pinterest.com has some great ideas for activities for kids that are not very expensive! I'm a huge believer that kids learn through play.

bellasmom32510
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:01 AM

We don't do themes, but I will tell you our schedule for the last few years is that in order to get computer/wii/psp time DD has to read 1 hour and then she gets 1 hour of video game time. She can read additional hours for additional time but she MUST take a 30 minute break from video games between each hour - so if she reads for 2 hours straight she can't play video games for 2 hours straight, she can play for an hour, take a 30 minute break, and then can play for another hour. During the 30 minute break she can do anything BUT watch TV. She has to do something else. DD is not an outside kid, so we also have a rule that says she has to spend 1 hour outside, now we do try to give her activities to do while out there, whether it is photo nature hunts, or drawing "assignments" etc. She is now going into 7th grade and I want to make sure that she keeps up with her math so she will have some math assignments.

skittles2011
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:09 AM

check out pinterest.com, they have some cute science experiments for kids. my son has already picked out 3 that we are doing this summer. his school also has sent home packets for the kids to complete. if they complete all 3 by early july, then they get a 'secret reward' that we'll find out what it is once he does all 3. he's a 1st grader so it has writing, math and we also have to right down what books he reads (at least 1 a day to be counted)

JenMarie87
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM

We will be going to the library and he will continue with his reading through the summer but as far as actual "school work" goes, no. lol

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM

We do science experiments throughout the year just for fun and we read alot.  I don't think I'd consdier this structured learning though as I'm not setting these things up as "Okay, today we're going to learn about...."  It's more like "I saw this cool experiment, craft, book, let's try it out."  My son has summer work that school requires because he's going into honors courses

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Quoting Due9:

We don't have themes. But my son does go to tutoring and will be prepared for the 5th grade. We go to the library, read, write essays, work on creative writing etc etc. He has a great tutor that is Chinese. She is excellent. She gives alot of homework but he is really learning alot.  He will continue tutoring all summer and pretty much all year. I believe public education is just not enough. We have to fill in the holes. The purpose of his tutoring is to advance him in subjects and not because he is behind.

St wondering why you included your tutors ethnicity.... Seems kind of odd.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)