Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School is almost over do you prepare your kids for the next grade?

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM
  • 46 Replies

School is almost over and the summer is near. Do you prepare your kid/kds for the next grade or let them enjoy the summer? Do you do both have your child prepare for school but also have child enjoy the summer?

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Due9
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Yes. He is in tutoring twice a week and will continue all summer. We also do fun things and are going on vacation.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM

We will continue to read and work on her math skills.  I hope to get some geography supplies to help her retain that.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM
I have him read regularly over the summer, and that is it. Well, throught the year we go to places like the science museum and such, but that is because it is fun....not specifically to keep up on studies or anything like that.
Jessica198027
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:09 AM

All three of mine do both. I do lessons everyday with them in science and social studies. Then come July they are going to a summer program at their school that does tutoring and summer fun things at the school and the local YMCA. I don't really do math with them because they are all in diff grades and are at diff levels. My middle is a higher math level than my oldest and my daughter is the youngest and even she is ahead of the oldest in most of her math. So that is harder to do unless I did one on one. I chose sci and ss becaus the school was going to toss the books away and not use them so I took them home and teach my kids what the school does not teach. I even make them watch history stuff on netflix too so the learn about the past and how things are diff than they are now. I prepare mine for the next grade. My kids also have work that they di not complete in school. Those papers are for if they act up at home, I give them what they scould already have had done but don't.

Liansmommie
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 4:23 AM

I wish I could let him have the summer off but experience has taught me that will only let him forget everything he knows. He will be doing tutoring three hours a week this summer.

Chymerra
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

She is going to keep up on her reading, math and practice her writing (her printing is terrible).  But, she is also going to enjoy her summer.

ShaeD
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Since we use a charter school, the girls extra workbooks come home at the end of the year. I have them do a page or two a day

angelgrl5200
by Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:21 AM
we will be spending at least an hour a day reading and writing...those are the only things my kids seem to struggle with. they also have math books, they will do a page a day...previous years have taught me they need to do school work during the summer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
all4Him999
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM
Yes, mine are in a summer reading club and will have math tutoring. But, they also have fun camps and we are going on a 8 day vacation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leeshamak
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:27 AM

I've never done anything before except lots of reading, but I'm thinking we may need to this summer. I really want to help them not forget anything this summer......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN