Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Pet for 7 year old?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM
  • 25 Replies
Hi ladies. I need some ideas please. My daughter is 7, and wants her own animal. We already have,2 dogs,2cats,a turtle,and my 9 year old son has 15 tree frogs. My daughter had some fish for some time,they all died within a week. She was heartbroken.. We can't have more cats or dogs. What's a good pet for her to take care of? She took very good care of her fish. She asked for a hampster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly,you have a house full of pets. Why add more to the chaos?

she doesn't need another "new" pet. Assign her one of the family pets to take care of and see how she does for 6 months and then reevaluate it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hectictracy
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM
It's not chaos. I know it sounds like it is. Lol. She already helps with all the animals.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Honestly,you have a house full of pets. Why add more to the chaos?

she doesn't need another "new" pet. Assign her one of the family pets to take care of and see how she does for 6 months and then reevaluate it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

We have 3 cats and a very large dog. My 7 yr. old is campainging for a lizzard. I told him that it really isn't fair to the lizzard as 2 of the cats are serious hunters - one has already caught and tortured several snakes, and regularly brings us dead mice. We told him that we would discuss it when we get home from our summer vacation (we'll be gone for 6 weeks, and DH will join us for 2 of them) not a good time for a new pet. So, of course, he caught a frog today. It stayed on the ranch where it was found.

becauseIsaid
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe a beta? We had a hamster for a while but dd wasn't as responsible as she should have been with it and I hated the smell of the bedding and urine so it went bye bye.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenesis915
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this
as I can see you seem to believe she's responsible no? of she can handle te care of a hamster cleaning, feeding and all that good stuff I see no issue with it although I'd be a little worried about the cats
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this
A bird. I loved my parakeets and love birds at that age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Read up on a leopard gecko... They are amazing for kids.. No biting and they are very loveable..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicoledanny
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 3:09 AM
2 moms liked this

I guess this is the age for that:D.  I got my first pets when I was 7 (parakeet, hamster and 2 goldfish).  My soon to be 7 year old has been begging for a guinea pig.   I think our dogs would give it a heart attack, so it's been a "no" so far.

Anyway, hamsters and gerbils are both good pets for younger kids, imo.  I've heard gerbils were sturdier, but I never owned one.  I think you can get two gerbils together (most hamster "breeds" (?) can't live in same sex pairs).  Just mentioning that because I noticed you have your dogs and cats in pairs:)

mommynac
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this

IMO, 7 is too young for a hamster (DS had one). They require a lot of care. Plus, they are escape artists, and probably not the best choice if you have two cats (growing up we had a lot of cats, and a lot of horror stories around hamsters). Can you get her a goldfish? They are really hearty.

Hectictracy
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
She had a Beta, his name was Steve. He lived for a long time,then hubby got 5 mollies. I think the mollies might have killed him. That's a good idea. Maybe get her another one,without mollies.

Quoting becauseIsaid:

Maybe a beta? We had a hamster for a while but dd wasn't as responsible as she should have been with it and I hated the smell of the bedding and urine so it went bye bye.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN