Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi ladies. I need some ideas please. My daughter is 7, and wants her own animal. We already have,2 dogs,2cats,a turtle,and my 9 year old son has 15 tree frogs. My daughter had some fish for some time,they all died within a week. She was heartbroken.. We can't have more cats or dogs. What's a good pet for her to take care of? She took very good care of her fish. She asked for a hampster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Replies (21-25):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PinkieRed:

My kids are 9 and 14, and we've had several hamsters over the past 4 or 5 years. We also have a cat.

Hamsters are fun, and don't require much care. My daughter was able to handle cleaning a cage at 8, 9 years old.

They'll definitely escape though. Every hamster we had got out at least once. We found all of them except for one. And fortunately our cat never managed to kill any of them.

Hamsters don't have very long life expectancies though. One of ours lived almost 3 years, but the rest only a year or two, if that. I'd keep that in mind if your daughter is very sensitive when a pet dies.

That is very true. And something to keep in mind. Also do your research before getting one.

A guinea pig can live longer and they are up during the day and sleep at night. They are similar in caring for as a hamster. Just bigger.

sillytime
by Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Guini pigs are great! I love them :0)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Yeah, it takes some getting used to the racket of a hamster spinning in its wheel all night when you're trying to sleep, LOL! It drove my son crazy when he got his first hamster. He got used to after a while though.

To the OP, I'd also suggest, if you get a hamster, to not get a tiny baby one. The babies are more prone than adult hamsters to wet tail disease, which is usually fatal.
Quoting kmrtigger:

Quoting PinkieRed:

My kids are 9 and 14, and we've had several hamsters over the past 4 or 5 years. We also have a cat.

Hamsters are fun, and don't require much care. My daughter was able to handle cleaning a cage at 8, 9 years old.

They'll definitely escape though. Every hamster we had got out at least once. We found all of them except for one. And fortunately our cat never managed to kill any of them.

Hamsters don't have very long life expectancies though. One of ours lived almost 3 years, but the rest only a year or two, if that. I'd keep that in mind if your daughter is very sensitive when a pet dies.

That is very true. And something to keep in mind. Also do your research before getting one.

A guinea pig can live longer and they are up during the day and sleep at night. They are similar in caring for as a hamster. Just bigger.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Guinea Pigs..... I wish I had done them before the hamsters.
They are far easier to handle. Long haired need daily brushing, or everyother. They need nails trimmed.....

mommy2b39465
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM

hampsters stink! My brother always threw up when he cleaned his hampster's cage, so I always ended having to clean both our cages....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)