Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How about you?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM
  • 31 Replies

Are you one of those parents who thinks that every child is a winner and that every child deserves a trophy?  Or are you a parent who believes in winners and losers and keeping score?  Why do you feel that way?

I'm feeling wicked!

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM
3 moms liked this

For me it depends on the age of the child.  If they're younger, I think all of them winning helps build self esteem in what they're doing.  In return, wanting to stick with it, try harder and work harder.  As they get older, I think it's good to separate it to winners and losers to show that losing does happen and you just try harder next time.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM
I think there are winners and losers, but on that note I don't go telling my son that nor do I make everything into a competition I just let him go at his own pace, sometimes he needs a push to do things, but he gets there..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM

My husband and I very laid back. We are not competitive parents ,but  we encourage our son to do the best that he can be.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
All I have to relate this to is little league baseball, while in T-ball I believe all the kids should get a trophy and be considered winners because everyone is learning the game. I remember a T-ball mom that was so over the top competitive, she would scream and yell from the bleachers like a crazy woman. I don't think that's necessary for 6 year olds. But as they get older, they need to learn to lose and not have a hissy fit when they do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:31 AM
I hate the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. Now if you want a team shirt for your efforts..fine. Trophys need to be earned by being the top in an area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM
I am a big supporter of John Wooden and positive coaching alliance to focus on effort and progress for young kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I hate the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. Now if you want a team shirt for your efforts..fine. Trophys need to be earned by being the top in an area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Quoting jillbailey26:

For me it depends on the age of the child.  If they're younger, I think all of them winning helps build self esteem in what they're doing.  In return, wanting to stick with it, try harder and work harder.  As they get older, I think it's good to separate it to winners and losers to show that losing does happen and you just try harder next time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:22 AM
There was a mom like that at soccer. Drove me nuts!

Quoting Cindy18:

All I have to relate this to is little league baseball, while in T-ball I believe all the kids should get a trophy and be considered winners because everyone is learning the game. I remember a T-ball mom that was so over the top competitive, she would scream and yell from the bleachers like a crazy woman. I don't think that's necessary for 6 year olds. But as they get older, they need to learn to lose and not have a hissy fit when they do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM
Hubby and I agree on this one. Young children like five and under... Everyone is learning the sport and no one is really keeping score anyway... Please do something small for the whole team. Like neck medals vs trophies. As they get older they need to learn that there are some things you excell at and some things you stink at. The everyone gets a trophy attitude and play roatation( every child must play for ten minutes) hinders those who are good and sometimes punishes those who were completely happy warming the bench once they realized they are no good. The team things in life almost always require some sort of a hierarchy. And they need to learn that sometimes the good of the team comes before the pride of one.
Trophies are an above and beyond, not the required award.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)