Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Can you request what teacher your child gets?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am hoping for a certain teacher for my 1st grader next year. I am a PTO volunteer and have done alot of volunteering this year. So I feel like I should have a little bit of a say so. Is that wrong for me to think that?

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
nicoledanny
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:49 AM

I think we can ask that they not be put into a certain class.  I don't know that they would do anything. They go to a public school in a really good school district and there is an out of district waiting list out the yazoo to transfer into their school. 

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:54 AM

As some one who doesn't care to be on the PTO, I kind of find it wrong that you would use that as a reason to have a privilege. I am very much involved with my children's education, I just have never liked doing the PTO, but anyway more to the question. I believe it's always possible to put in a request, but not sure that means it will be guaranteed. I know all the 3rd grade teachers and none of them even know which one has my daughter next year because they don't even find out themselves until the week before school starts.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:37 AM
In my sil school you can request but it does not assure the place. I agree that it should not be based on how much you volunteer because some people can not because they work. (and I do volunteer)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chymerra
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:34 AM

As far as I know, no.  

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:29 AM

As a teacher, I don't think volunteers should have any more say than other parents; our teachers can't even request a certain teacher for their children.  Our schools don't allow parent requests. Now, if you have valid concerns you can voice them in a letter and the principal may take it into consideration.  

CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Our school encourages parents to select a teacher and it has become a zoo.  At every grade there is one teacher that every one wants and then the parents of the students that didn't get their first choice bombard the school.  Several times it has turned ugly with pushing and name calling among the parents.  It could all be avoided if our principal would just stand her ground and put an end to it.

pookienbobosmom
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:46 AM

No, generally you do not have a say in what teacher your child gets. In our district you fill out a form about your child that helps them place your child with the best teacher that would fit his/her needs. Like if he does better with a sticter or laid back environment, is shy or outgoing, etc.

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Our school allows everyone to put in a request for a particular teacher but it's with the understanding that there is no guarantee that you will get that teacher.

I have a dd that just graduated from HS, a son going into 5th and a son going into 2nd. This year is the first year I requested a teacher with a second choice for any of my kids. My youngest had the worst school year ever this past year and I will not let that happen again, especially since I asked the principal to change his placement before the school year began last year and she refused. I knew my son was going to struggle b/c this teacher is a screamer and my son doesn't respond to that, he shuts down. So yeah he went from hitting all of the benchmarks well ahead of time in kindergarten with a veteran teacher to needing improvements in most areas (same programs) b/c he was terrified of her and wouldn't perform during testing. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your post with my story.

johnny4ever
Hiking!
Today at 10:55 AM
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I tried last year but it didnt work

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

No we can't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)