Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

S/O special treatment for volunteers

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • 40 Replies

What do you think about schools giving special treatment to PTA/PTO members and volunteers?  Since they help out the school a lot should they be permitted to special privileges that other parents aren't?  Things like selecting their child's teacher, special seating at concerts and performances, special events just for them that the rest of the parent's aren't invited to.

I'm feeling wicked!

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma2bubbas
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

not special priviledges, but recognition yes.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM

It depends on what the special treatment is. I've seen moms on here complain that only those who are PTO members are allowed to chaperone field trips, which I feel is unfair. Allowing them to sign out their child a few minutes early if they are already helping at school at the end of the day is an ok privilege, though, imo.

MomVsBoys
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Definitely recognition, privileges? I suppose that depends on what you consider a special privilege. I volunteer as much as my schedule allows, I really enjoy it, most of the teachers know me by name, I call them by their first names (not with the kids around), I can come and go at the school, get supplies from the supply room if I need to (only for what ever I'm at the school for, not personal use). I have never asked for anything out of the ordinary of the school for myself or my boys, so I'm not sure what you mean really.
natesmom1228
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

It wouldn't bother me at all if they received special acknowledgement. They do more then I do, so they should.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM
5 moms liked this

I agree that they should be recognized but not necessarily given preferential treatment. The spirit of volunteering gets lost when the person doing the volunteering EXPECTS some form of 'return' for their time.  The return they should be looking for i how their time, talents and treasures helped the school as a whole, not just themselves or their kid. But JMO

Being a former PTA President at the Elementary, Middle and High School level as well as holding several other positions over the years, I feel very strongly about a persons motivation to volunteer.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Quoting MomVsBoys:

Definitely recognition, privileges? I suppose that depends on what you consider a special privilege. I volunteer as much as my schedule allows, I really enjoy it, most of the teachers know me by name, I call them by their first names (not with the kids around), I can come and go at the school, get supplies from the supply room if I need to (only for what ever I'm at the school for, not personal use). I have never asked for anything out of the ordinary of the school for myself or my boys, so I'm not sure what you mean really.

I don't think access to the supply closet for school use is a privilege when you are volunteering, do you?  A special privilege would be things like selecting your child's teacher, reserved front row seating at concerts and events, being invited to events that non-volunteers aren't permitted to attend, etc.

lizzig
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

never heard of a school doing such.  i know our school doesn't.  i work in the cafeteria at my children's school.  i get off work at 2, the kids get out at 2:30.  since i'm there waiting for them i help out where needed.  i make copies for classes, help out in the media center, work with the pta on decorations for grade level shows.  i definately don't get any special treatment being a volunteer, parent & employee of the school.

MomVsBoys
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting MomVsBoys:

I don't think access to the supply closet for school use is a privilege when you are volunteering, do you?  A special privilege would be things like selecting your child's teacher, reserved front row seating at concerts and events, being invited to events that non-volunteers aren't permitted to attend, etc.

I don't think it is either, but I guess that's as close to a privilege as I get, :) being able to come and go in such sanctified places like the supply room and staff room certainly feels like a privilege (in h.s. I was more likely to be in the principles office). 

I don't believe in picking teachers, I did ask before ds2 started K that he be placed in the same class as one of two good friends because he can have a hard time adjusting and I wanted his transition to school to ba a good thing, but I didn't care which teacher.  I have also requested that ds1 be placed in the split class (so in grade 2 he was in a 2-3 split) because by the end of gr 1 he was doing mostly gr 2 work, but again I didn't care who the teacher was.  Both of those requests were made with explanations but no expectations or demands that they be done, when it worked out I was happy for my children and expressed my thanks to the principle.

As far as front-row seating, ha! If I can't get my butt there early enough (and I seldom can) then I don't deserve a front-row seat.  As far as other special events, our school is really casual and encourages parents to support the kids/school in any way possible.  As a parent I can even go watch gym class if I'd like, though usually just K parents ever do and of course only if you're not a distraction, they want parents to know what their child is doing. Good and Bad. 

luvcats406
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  Recognition, yes.  Privilages, no. i would be very upset to hear a pta member got to pick out the teacher they wanted and I didn't.  I am not in the pta because I cannot be but I do my part to help the teacher as much as possible by volunteering.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Quoting MomVsBoys:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting MomVsBoys:

I don't think it is either, but I guess that's as close to a privilege as I get, :) being able to come and go in such sanctified places like the supply room and staff room certainly feels like a privilege (in h.s. I was more likely to be in the principles office). 

I don't believe in picking teachers, I did ask before ds2 started K that he be placed in the same class as one of two good friends because he can have a hard time adjusting and I wanted his transition to school to ba a good thing, but I didn't care which teacher.  I have also requested that ds1 be placed in the split class (so in grade 2 he was in a 2-3 split) because by the end of gr 1 he was doing mostly gr 2 work, but again I didn't care who the teacher was.  Both of those requests were made with explanations but no expectations or demands that they be done, when it worked out I was happy for my children and expressed my thanks to the principle.

As far as front-row seating, ha! If I can't get my butt there early enough (and I seldom can) then I don't deserve a front-row seat.  As far as other special events, our school is really casual and encourages parents to support the kids/school in any way possible.  As a parent I can even go watch gym class if I'd like, though usually just K parents ever do and of course only if you're not a distraction, they want parents to know what their child is doing. Good and Bad. 

Gotta love having access to the teacher's lounge.  lol  I'll never forget when a new volunteer was helping me at school and she looked at me like I had 2 heads when I mentioned going into the lounge to get a soda.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)