Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Time Management How do you stay organize?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

My sister and I was talking and I told her it seems like I can never get anything done. She told me I need to manage my time more better. She is a single mom , working full time, and just graduate with her master. Me I am totally swamp. I moved a month ago things are still in boxes and I need to organize my paperwork. I bought a planner but I keep it at home because it was to big to carry.  Are your organize and How do stay organize ?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melaniecerise
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I am a stay at home mom. I reflected on my time and I realized I have been not achieving anything, so I made a schedule for myself. Every day the same schedule, every block of time is scheduled. from 530 am to 10pm

blessedmom1978
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I use an organizer and to do lists, I am a stay at home mom but I have 2 teens and a 8 years old that keep me busy

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Google calendar sync...it links my phone and my computer calendars. If it is not on the calendar, it doesn't exist. It is the only wayto make sure I don't miss sport, scouts, dr appts, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chymerra
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Lists (I am big on those), I tack important things (like appointment cards and school stuff) to our cork board and for bills, I put it into my email calendar with an alarm telling me to pay the day the bill is due.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:03 AM
this. and to my kindle fire. I keep the dinner schedule on there too.

I also keep a generic daily schedule with what I intend to accomplish (mine hangs on the side of the fridge). I do one load of laundry a day, start to finish and I do one household chore per day (dust, vacuum, bathrooms...). my kitchen stays clean, my daughter unloads the dishwasher when she gets up (early riser!) and when I get up, I get them breakfast and will reload if there were dishes leftover from the night before that didn't fit. toys stay out of the living room, so other than the pillows that mysteriously get thrown from the couch, that stays pretty cleaned up too. the key for me is to not expect too much out of myself. don't do ALL the laundry in one day, then your just exhausted and irritated about the pile of laundry. don't clean your whole house spic-and-span in one day, then it's weeks before you have motivation to do it again, but keep up with the little things- and then when you have company, it's not so bad- maybe mop the kitchen floor (I don't do it often because I vacuum it and spot clean as necessary) and give your baseboards a wipe down, and recruit your kids to make sure their rooms are company ready.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Google calendar sync...it links my phone and my computer calendars. If it is not on the calendar, it doesn't exist. It is the only wayto make sure I don't miss sport, scouts, dr appts, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I have the calendar on my phone and computer linked to each other and I fly by the seat of my pants very often.  lol  One thing that I do that seems to work for me, is I divide a big project up into smaller parts and work on it over the course of days or weeks, depending on how long I have to do it.  I also don't sweat the small stuff.  I will certainly take the time to float in the pool before I clean the house, but am well aware that I HAVE to clean the house on that rainy day.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I have one of those Mom calendars in the kitchen and a pocket calender in my bag to keep track of appts/field trips/etc, and try to compare them at the start of each month to make sure I've got everything on each one.

I don't have a set day to do specific household chores- I do them as they seem needed. 

As for papers, well, I try, I really do. I have a few places where important things are supposed to go; most of the time, things make it to those places, but not always (esp. if dh has had his hands on them. . .)

CrazedMomof2
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Hahaha. I don't. :)
littleacorn
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM
I have a dry erase weekly calendar on my fridge. I write everything I want to get done under the day. I take appointments, practices, etc into account and prioritize the rest around that. I don't know if I'm explaining this right, but I know I'm doing it right since people are always amazed how much I get done in a day!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Birdie100
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I look at what needs to be done, make a list, and then do whatever needs to be done maybe twice a week in block times.   I find I can get overwhelmed and it will totally put me off.  Don't look at it as a BIG task.  Do little things at one time.  Like plan to empty 2 boxes only etc....don't think I have to tackle everything in one day.  Also the planner you don't seem to care for so get a new one that you will actually use.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN