Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM
  • 46 Replies
Hey I haven't posted much in this group since my kinds aren't in school yet. Well today I registered my oldest into Kindergarten today and found out it is all day. I don't know how I feel about it, I was emotional about him going half days. Well I just needed to get that off my chest and see if anyone else's kids went to all day kindergarten and how they adjusted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd (my youngest) was in half-day kindy, so I'll be dealing w/ my last baby being in school all day for the 1st time. Most kids adjust just fine- a bit tired by the time they get home, but after a couple wks, they get used to it. 

Try to relax- the kids tend to adjust better/faster than we moms do : )

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Our district has been doing all day kindergarten for years. Our dd, who just graduated from HS, was in their pilot class for the program. I think it has been beneficial to our students, they aren't sitting at desks all day long but they are learning all day long. Our kindergarten also implements a quiet time for those students who still need a short rest to get through the remainder of the school day. All three of my kids did very well with all day kindergarten.

I would talk to the principal and ask for the kindergarten schedule. Sharing your concerns and asking questions is the best way to make it easier for all of you. Good luck.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine didn't go full days. I don't think I would have liked it with my first. It is a very emotional time. BUT I needed it with my youngest and it wasn't a choice.

It will be OK, momma. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

DD went from all day with mom and dad (us) to all day kindergarten.  She LOVES it.  She made friends fairly easy.  She did have a problem adapting at first due to the new rules but once the teachers found out she was never in formal preschool, they were able to better integrate her into the class routine.   Our school district has wednesdays as mandatory half days for elementary school.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

All 3 of my kids went full day. The school didn't offer a choice. And it was a loooong day 8:15-3:40. They thrived and have loved school ever since (and my oldest will be going into 9th in the fall, so I get the emotional part.) The upside was that they napped on the weekends, which meant a little adult time for DH and I.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Both of mine went to full day.  Jason went to private because 8 years ago they didn't have full day here.  Jess went to our neighboring town this year for full day kindergarten.  I have no use for half day programs because the state's curriculum is geared for a full day program and it can't be done at an appropriate developmental level in 2 1/2 hours.  My daughter has 2 recesses, a special every day, and has covered all the required academics.  She loves school and can't wait for first grade to start (kindergarten's not even over until Monday but she'd love to just keep going without the summer break).

Strega
by Tami on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Kindergarten for our Daughter (now heading into 4th Grade) was nuts. She started off doing half-days. Then, we moved out of State and the School there did full days. That was a huge adjustment for all of us.

We Homeschool now, so our Son has just about the same amount of time each day for Kindergarten as our Daughter does for 3rd Grade, which is just about 4 1/2-5 hours, depending on what we're doing on any given day.

It will be rough in the beginning, but it will eventually even out. Good luck!

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

catsmeow177
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, I have a child that will be attending all day also this year! I have been emotional as well. Tears well up in my eyes just thinking about it my baby is growing up. Just a few days ago, she was a early Christmas gift. She was about 5 weeks early according to the Doctor! I hope all will go great! We will probably be the ones crying while the children play and say see ya later mom.
trae1982
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much everyone!! All your advice and info is appreciated. It does help having someone to talk to that has been through it before. Oh and it doesn't help that I am 35 weeks pregnant now Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trae1982
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM
You said your little girl is was a Christmas surprise, was she born in December? My son was born in December. It is so hard thinking about our little ones starting school. You can add me and message me if you want someone to talk to.

Quoting catsmeow177:

Well, I have a child that will be attending all day also this year! I have been emotional as well. Tears well up in my eyes just thinking about it my baby is growing up. Just a few days ago, she was a early Christmas gift. She was about 5 weeks early according to the Doctor! I hope all will go great! We will probably be the ones crying while the children play and say see ya later mom.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)